Close

Winner of NASA Challenge Developed New Method of 3D Printing

NASA recently announced the winners of their In-Situ Materials Challenge, which asked participants to develop fabrication and construction methods utilizing native, or in-situ, surface materials on the moon and Mars. Taking first place was Dr. Behrokh Khoshnevis, engineer and professor at the University of Southern California, who developed a whole new method of 3D printing. Read more about Dr. Khoshnevis' Selective Separation Sintering (SSS) technology and its implications for space colonization at 3DPrint.com:https://3dprint.com/128375/selective-separation-sintering/

Staff Engineer
    While it certainly is cool, I'm a bit confused on how it is supposed to work in zero gravity. I'm either misunderstanding the process, or they are leaving some major details out of it.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    While it certainly is cool, I'm a bit confused on how it is supposed to work in zero gravity. I'm either misunderstanding the process, or they are leaving some major details out of it.
    It's not, it's meant to be deployed on a planet that has some gravity, like Mars and use it's natural resources like ore and mix them with ceramics to build items, like interlocking metal discs, basically build on the planet rather than taking things there.

And I only read half of it
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    utilizing native, or in-situ, surface materials on the moon and Mars
    I just read the first sentence :-)