Close

Technician

Linear Bearing performance on polished rods (prusa i3 or other)

I was wondering what everyone's take was on the linear bearings that support the x and y-axis.

My previous experience was that they get gummed up once in a while. I thought it would be interesting if they floated over the guides like an air hockey puck. Curious about what others thought. It might be a wasted effort, but it'd be pretty easy to add an airline and some holes to a rod, with the result of potentially removing any friction on those axis.

Mo

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by LAFilament.com View Post
    I was wondering what everyone's take was on the linear bearings that support the x and y-axis.

My previous experience was that they get gummed up once in a while. I thought it would be interesting if they floated over the guides like an air hockey puck. Curious about what others thought. It might be a wasted effort, but it'd be pretty easy to add an airline and some holes to a rod, with the result of potentially removing any friction on those axis.

Mo
    I use Linear bearings on all my kossel machines, so there is 3 per machine (I use the 15mm size for the 1515 extrusions.. I think they are MGN9C? )
    I've never ever had a linear bearing get 'gummy' or lock up as I make sure they are oiled constantly, and I just use cheap sewing machine oil. My gripe with them is they do rust I have spent way too much on "stainless" ones but they also rust
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I use Linear bearings on all my kossel machines, so there is 3 per machine (I use the 15mm size for the 1515 extrusions.. I think they are MGN9C? )
    I've never ever had a linear bearing get 'gummy' or lock up as I make sure they are oiled constantly, and I just use cheap sewing machine oil. My gripe with them is they do rust I have spent way too much on "stainless" ones but they also rust
    Very interesting. What kind of impact does that rust have on the performance of the printer? (Maybe no more printing in the shower?)