Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Student
    Well, my first adventure into building a 3d printer didn't go as well as planned. I just want to post the troubles I ran into. First the build its' self went well, the problem I had was int the mounting of the RAMPS. It seems there are traces on the board that are close to the mounting bolt. After installing one of the bolts touched a trace and put 12v to the case of the power supply. After plugging in my Raspberry PI. Full +12 V (and a lot of amps) smoked my Raspberry PI usb ports
    Lost the Mega 2560 do to the damage to the USB port and one stepstick. Needless to say I will be installing nylon bolts and possible nylon space when mounting the RAMPs. I would suggest using nylon hardware or putting a non-conductive washers under the bolts. From what I heard, this is the first time anyone has heard of this happening. After inspect the PCB I see copper material in the mounting holes, which could be touching some traces on the board which washer would of helped. Still pleased with the unit, waiting for new stepsticks so I can start printing.

Student
    Thanks for the info. I ordered my printer last week. I'll be taking my time building it. It's been a while since I've done anything like this. I also got my Meanwell p/s ordered. Looking forward to this new adventure. Time to start working on my patience.

Sorry to hear that. It's true I didn't have the same issue when mounting my RAMP on my Pegasus. But I do agree using nylons screws is preferable.
    Also, if you're using direct drive; I've modified the mount with reinforced nut spacer here:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1742505
    Last edited by leadpan; 08-29-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Student
    I probably should of just replace the electronics, but the technician in me said "lets see what happened and see what we can fix. Didn't find out about the stepstick until yesterday trying to put it though its' paces. It was the one for extruder drive that went. Can't wait for the parts to get in. Probably going to be another week before my first print..

Engineer-in-Training
    Has anyone created a mount for a part cooling fan? If there is one available I don't want to create my own.

NVM!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1533928

Found this.
    Last edited by BLKKROW; 08-29-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234