Close

Belt building problem on i3

Hello, I'm trying to build an i3, but I'm having some issues getting my belt to get into the teeth of the x-axis carriage. I'm using a GT2 belt. It seems that the opening is way too small to force the end into the grips. Has anyone had this problem, and more importantly does anyone have a solution?

Student
    I can't claim to know the details of the i3, but I am familiar with Gates timing belts. GT2 is a generic belt type. Within that group you can have different tooth sizes or pitches (the distance from one tooth to the next) from 2mm or 3mm up to 14mm pitch belts. I would measure the tooth pitch of your belt against the one on the i3. The larger the tooth pitch, the larger the belt.

What is the exact problem?
    I have an i3 and i2 with GT2's..
    Can you post a photo of your cogs?

Are you using printed parts or metal pulleys?
    You should not use printed when using GT2's - Metal parts give the best results.

It's kinda hard to show in a pictures, but I'll try when I get home later today.

I think the printed parts need to be printed according to the belt that you are going to use. There is a option in the config file where you can change the tooth distance and then generate .stl files for the x carriag and y belt holder. This would print parts compatible with your belts. The pulleys need to be compatible with the belts as such. Use metal pulleys for best results.

So it goes like this printed parts (x carriage, y belt holder )-----compatible with---------> Belts (tooth distance)----compatible with------>pulleys (preferably metal).

@kingoddball - did you print i3 parts yourself or got them from somewhere. I have printed i3 parts from prusa vanilla files as they were. I haven't got the belts in my hand till now, but i have ordered gt2 belts. I hope they fit into those parts.

But the belt fits fine on the y axis?

Ah!
    Ok!
    Yes, I printed all of my own parts.
    I printed parts from vanilla also.
    Good parts and some from twelvepro on thingiverse.

Also, have you tried a small knife?
    Would take a long time, but might work?
    Or just push into gap and use zip ties. remove the teeth?