Close

Student

Filament, shrinkage, other materials

Gents,
    I have a Da Vinci 1.0a and I have a quick question: what material can you recommend that does not shrink a lot? I've been using ABS and I find it hard to design/print parts that should fit e.g. a screw or an iPhone....

Aood ideas ?

/j

PLA, PET, ... you know.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Allow for 1% shirinkage in your ABS parts and you'll do fine. We print many things with tight tolerances in ABS.

Student
    Thanks for input.
    I have an unhacked Da Vinci and I am a little bit uncertain if I can use PET, Nylon etc...

With regards to the 1% shrinkage; ok, then I will have to design my way out of that if using ABS.

I am looking for both stronger material and also flexible material that the printer can support.

Regards

/j

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the only real criteria for are:
    1) how hot does the hot end go
    2) how hot does the print bed go

It's an enclosed printer so nylon might work.
    But don't expect to be printing small parts and tight tolearances with nylon. Even when it's working well, it's pretty 'furry' stuff :-)

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by niska View Post
    With regards to the 1% shrinkage; ok, then I will have to design my way out of that if using ABS.
    You should not have to. You should be able to scale your model up 1% with aspect ratio locked before slicing.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    the only real criteria for are:
    1) how hot does the hot end go
    2) how hot does the print bed go

It's an enclosed printer so nylon might work.
    But don't expect to be printing small parts and tight tolearances with nylon. Even when it's working well, it's pretty 'furry' stuff :-)
    Yeah, Nylon is interesting for some parts and also the flexible filament.. I am going to try that too as soon as I can get my hands on a spool - it is not available here yet.. :-)

thanks for input.

Student
    yeah.. even the crappy XYZ slicer can do that :-) so I guess that is the solution.. I have seen some videos on youtube with other materials like petg that does not shrink a lot :-)

I think every material you might print with will contract somewhat when going from liquid (or semi-liquid) to solid. Unless you're printing with water, which actually expands.

My company sells a great product called PLAyPHAb.

PLA Enhanced with the Strength and Pliability of ABS
    PLAyPHAb is 100% biodegradable like PLA, but is comparable to ABS in terms of it’s impact strength and pliability. PLAyPHAb also has excellent layer adhesion, produces a glossy finish, and provides increased UV stability.
    • Premium Quality Filament Made in the USA
    PLAyPHAb is made with 100% virgin resins to the strictest standards available, and it maintains a dimensional accuracy < +/- 0.03mm.
    • Eco-friendly Packaging
    The spool is made of recycled biodegradable cardboard that is secured with a recyclable tin end cap.
    • Resealable Bag
    Every spool of PLAyPHAb comes with a re-usable, re-sealable plastic bag to help extend the life of the filament once it is opened.