Close

123D Designing Question

I’m just getting into designing and I have a real newbie question for everyone.
    How do you actually “draw” in your programs, especially 123D. I have been creating some cool designs using the tools provided in the software but I can’t seem to figure out how to “freehand” draw designs. I have both an ipad and touchscreen pc for designing.
    Also, is there a way to bend a design. If I designed a logo and wanted to bend it to fit on a large sphere, is there an easy way to do this?
    Thanks for the help.

Staff Engineer
    Those 123D programs aren't full-featured CAD programs; they are utilities that are aimed at solving one particular issue, like turning photos into 3D models. If you want to do freehand drawings of letters and bend them to fit 3D shapes, you'll probably need to expand your horizons and look further afield. Take a look at Rhino3D, for example - that has more of the capabilities you're talking about.

Totally agreed with awerby. The main usage of 123D programs is for converting 2D pics into 3D models.I am personally using Fusion 360. It is free for most. It is both a CAD, free modeling, architecture, and has a lot of 3d printing support.And since it being uses CAD,it allows the 3D model to correctly align the geometry of the parts and can be tilted or bended in whatever shape we want to built.So my advice to you is to use it without any doubt.

Moderator note: removed hyperlink from post
    Last edited by printbus; 10-05-2016 at 07:20 PM.