Close

Printer quality has gone extremly poor

I have been printing and printing for the last 2 weeks everything was working great quality was great everything was turning out then 2 days ago im near the finish of my settlers of catan set and im printing the boarder out and the print is coming out terrible. ive tried different filament. i can manually extrude filament and it looks the same as it did before.

Here are a picture of what is happening
    20160310_101429[1].jpg

please help

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looks like it's a partially blocked nozzle.
    Probably crappy filament.

look up unblocking nozzles - plenty on it. Guitar strings seem to be the best bet :-)

Ive been using the same filament company since i got the printer 2 years ago. have no had any issues til now. but you never know

I was leaning towards a clogged nozzle myself but have not seen this problem before. so ill give it a go

thanks for the input Curious aardvark

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by troyster84 View Post
    I have been printing and printing for the last 2 weeks everything was working great quality was great everything was turning out then 2 days ago im near the finish of my settlers of catan set and im printing the boarder out and the print is coming out terrible. ive tried different filament. i can manually extrude filament and it looks the same as it did before.

Here are a picture of what is happening
    20160310_101429[1].jpg

please help
    Go buy a packet of electric guitar strings, 0.09-.36 gauge (light electric strings) or if they sell single strings, just buy one light E string.

These are thin enough to go up the nozzle and all the way through to the top and you can pull it right through - this will take the gunk that's blocking your nozzle and take it up and out - rather than trying to force it through the nozzle.

Sometimes plastic can cure inside there and no matter how much heat you give it, it will not push through - so the only other option is pushing UP not down through the nozzle.

I do this very regularly, it keeps the nozzles in top order and the string is nickel and coated and doesn't affect the nozzle, it slides up the hole easy.

Just ensure you heat the extruder before using the string to clean it and you can't go wrong - only way you will dislodge it is if its hot. It will coat the guitar string as it goes through and eventually you will get a plug of gunk come out the tubing at the top being dragged by the string.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Superb and amazing discussion with good topic. Thanks for sharing.

bought the guitar string and worked wonders. thanks for the help!!!

Student
    Follow Swapnil Sansare On Twitter

Founder & CEO - Divide By Zero Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

Looks like your nozzle is partially clogged, if your filament is curling and the diameter of filament is uneven you may have a partially clogged nozzle. Use guitar string or a 0.5 mm drill bit & clean the nozzle after heating it. If your nozzle keeps on partially clogging then it's time to switch to better quality filaments, also one of the biggest reasons of nozzle clogging is dust in the filament. I use a filament cleaner which I 3D printed from thingiverse. Also keep your filaments moisture free in a airtight container. Hope it helps!

Change the tip!

Student
    Would that apply to me too?

Try printing that again but this time print 2, it will give the layers time to cool .