Close

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

New flashforge model coming in december!!!

I don't know much about it but it looks nice! A creator pro upgrade really, but for me this is good as I prefer the larger build platform in an open device. The Dreamer and Finder are enclosed and I really like to be able to pull things out easily and repair/maintain them.

*Note I pinched this photo off google, I have no affiliation with this company, I was just searching for printers to buy and came across their website, and when I saw a picture of this I thought.. .hang on I've not seen that flashforge before!

newflashforge.JPG
    Last edited by Geoff; 02-25-2016 at 02:39 AM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Well that certainly looks interesting. I would be interested to know what sort of improvements they are making to the machine. I'm sure sure it is a lot of small tweaking based on feedback. Any guesses?

I would guess all metal hot ends for one.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    They really need to re-think the design of the top. Get rid of that stupid cover and build it around something like the Dreamer. Ideally, my next printer will have a well sealed chamber and a carbon/HEPA filtration for using ABS and other arguably harmful filaments.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
    They really need to re-think the design of the top. Get rid of that stupid cover and build it around something like the Dreamer. Ideally, my next printer will have a well sealed chamber and a carbon/HEPA filtration for using ABS and other arguably harmful filaments.
    Agree about the filtering, but sealed chambers for me are pretty useless, they serve absolutely no purpose, but it's most likely because I am in a relatively warm environment.
    My ABS sticks like glue to kapton without a sealed chamber, as it's the old flashforge. I have never really had an issue with lifting that couldn't be fixed without hairspray. You can also use blue tape and a glue stick to make ABS stick to the hot bed - and even run your hotbed at 90-100 so it doesn't cook the glue too fast.

So yeah I don't like the sealed tops like the dreamer and finder as there is little room for maintenance and if you have a 3D printer, you know you will need to get into it at some point, the less you need to do the better. I can understand people wanting "pretty" looking printers, but I think I'd prefer ease of access rather than something that looks cool - but it would be nice to have a mix of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Agree about the filtering, but sealed chambers for me are pretty useless, they serve absolutely no purpose, but it's most likely because I am in a relatively warm environment.
    My ABS sticks like glue to kapton without a sealed chamber, as it's the old flashforge. I have never really had an issue with lifting that couldn't be fixed without hairspray. You can also use blue tape and a glue stick to make ABS stick to the hot bed - and even run your hotbed at 90-100 so it doesn't cook the glue too fast.

So yeah I don't like the sealed tops like the dreamer and finder as there is little room for maintenance and if you have a 3D printer, you know you will need to get into it at some point, the less you need to do the better. I can understand people wanting "pretty" looking printers, but I think I'd prefer ease of access rather than something that looks cool - but it would be nice to have a mix of both.
    Yeah I don't like the idea of sealed chambers, FDM printers aren't ready for that yet, but filtering would be awesome. Of course it won't be as effective if the unit isn't completely sealed.

Ive been printing on PEI and my abs prints have been coming out fantastic. Being completely sealed isn't necessary for me either.

I've seen some pretty cool aluminum nozzle bars that make for easier leveling adjustments. That would be a good addition because levelling right now is a little cumbersome, especially since they moved the adjustment screws facing the back.

So in thinking of improvements, I've been wondering if it's possible to build a reliable aluminum bar that allows for varying nozzle offset adjustments along the x axis. I saw a really cool upgrade someone made that widens the offset. It essentially splits the build plate in two on the x axis and makes ditto printing really efficient.

I wonder what other upgrades they could make that would really sell this as an upgrade to current owners of the creator pro.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Sorry, I wasn't clear in my statement. A sealed or close to sealed chamber is required for proper filtration, that is the only reason I suggested it. I've had a bit of trouble getting my FFCP sealed up well enough to get my CARBON/HEPA Filtration system to create a negative gradient inside the build chamber. If interested you can read more about it here.

'ABS printers' are starting to come with embedded filtration systems, and what looks like pretty well sealed chambers.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my statement. A sealed or close to sealed chamber is required for proper filtration, that is the only reason I suggested it. I've had a bit of trouble getting my FFCP sealed up well enough to get my CARBON/HEPA Filtration system to create a negative gradient inside the build chamber. If interested you can read more about it here.

'ABS printers' are starting to come with embedded filtration systems, and what looks like pretty well sealed chambers.
    You certainly have put a lot of work into making your system work. I suppose it would be possible to balance having a "sealed" chamber using gaskets and enclosures while still having easy access for maintenance purposes.

How has has your system been working for you (I read your notes btw). Just curious on your thoughts.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

Ahh fair enough, sorry my mistake.

It probably is for the best, the technology rushed out so fast, things like emissions were put on the "to-do"list!

God only knows how many toxins I breathe in sitting next to 4-5 printers going all day.. and if it's raining all the windows are shut, so not alot of ventilation. I print in ABS 50% of the time and I have noticed my throat get a little scratchy after 10 hours breathing it in.

I must admit i've become a little addicted to the smell of melting PLA

Quote Originally Posted by Grindeddown View Post
    You certainly have put a lot of work into making your system work. I suppose it would be possible to balance having a "sealed" chamber using gaskets and enclosures while still having easy access for maintenance purposes.

How has has your system been working for you (I read your notes btw). Just curious on your thoughts.
    That is a good question. I think it's been working, however it's extremely difficult to quantifying its effectiveness. The ABS filament I use (Hatchbox) doesn't really have a strong odor to me. For anecdotal evidence, my wife thinks its working as she use to smell what she called a "strange smell" while printing before building that scrubber. I guess I need to find some strong smelling filament for testing..

I have run tests with a small incense stick burning inside the printer, and the scrubber running @ 6vdc I could just barely smell the incense. As soon as I shut it off, I could smell it much stronger in just a few min.

I'm almost ready to do some more anecdotal testing after the filter has run for ~30 hours of printing. I'm thinking about posting up some video's on it.