Close

New FFCP comes with Active Cooling?

Hey Guys,

So through trouble shooting some issues Ive had starting off I have found the Active cooling mod for the FFCP. Now, none of the pictures or videos I see of people who have installed this active cooling mod, their printer is missing something that mine had out of the box. I got my printer a week ago. It had a third fan on the left side of the extruder module. It then had a duct that clipped on that wraps under and points the airflow at the extruder tips.

Do your printers have this? If so, is there a way to use this fan for the better cooling mod? ActiveDuctV2.0_preview_featured.jpg

Im thinking I could for sure use at least the power wires for that third fan. Everyone on youtube has to run new wires for this to the EXTRA 24v on the main board, but I dont think Ill have to.

Anyway, if you guys dont have this on your printer then I guess its a new feature even though it is not mentioned in the manual or on the website.

D

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes, they come with active cooling out of the box these days.

This forum seems to be pretty slow. When I was reading before I got my printer I thought it was pretty active, but I guess a lot of the threads are older threads. It seems to take days to get a reply. Not used to this...

Ahh, very interesting. Ill give that one a try.

Thanks for the heads up.

Technician
    I think the blower fan that yours came with will give you better results even with the simple air routing they did than many people get with more complicated setups for the simple reason that you're getting more CFM out of your fan. Most of those mods are made for the regular flat fans like the one that is on the extruder heatsinks.

Quote Originally Posted by warkmal View Post
    I think the blower fan that yours came with will give you better results even with the simple air routing they did than many people get with more complicated setups for the simple reason that you're getting more CFM out of your fan. Most of those mods are made for the regular flat fans like the one that is on the extruder heatsinks.
    I pulled one of my extruders and printed off the HalfStepper MOD which uses one of the fans for active cooling of the print. I print exclusively in ABS and this mod is working out pretty well for my needs. Not that active cooling is mandatory in ABS, but I have found that my non supported overhangs are printing better.

I typically print .1mm resolution and ~100% infill. Most of my parts are functional parts used for prototyping.
    Last edited by catalyst; 02-24-2016 at 12:10 PM.