Close

Student

How do i unblock an extruder?

Hi, I'm new to 3D printing & have recently purchased a Flashforge Creator Pro. I've been extremely happy with the results but lately the extruders have started clogging up!I read on another forum about using a very thin needle to unblock it whilst heating the extruder to 260 degrees. This has worked well a couple of times while i was using ABS Filament. I've now swapped to PLA Filament & for some reason it has blocked AGAIN & i cant seem to un block it even though the needle doesn't seem to find any blockage inside! Sometimes, a tiny bit of black gunk comes out but it's still blocked! Can anyone offer any advice please? Thanks

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    It may be time to take it apart and check the PTFE tube and Nozzle.

Student
    Thanks for the reply. Any advice on where i can find instructions please?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah, and change your filament provider. obviously some crap mixed in with the plastic.

I've had one blockage in 2 years of solid printing. One of the rolls of filament that came with the printer. Never used that brand again, never had another blockage :-)

Student
    Add JohnnyV on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Any advice on where i can find instructions please?
    Google is your best friend. Just search Flashforge nozzle removal and you'll find a boatload of videos on youtube walking you through the process.

Did you replace the nozzle and heat break when you switched from ABS to PLA?
    Sounds like crappy filament; Curious Aardvark is absolutely right that good quality filament is important.
    You're at the point where you likely will end up replacing the heat break (or the PTFE tubing). Nozzles are cheap; replace that for sure. Then go to a better grade of filament.
    I personally have never tried the stuff coming from China; I use only U.S.A. -made, and have NO issues.

Wes

260°C is above the PTFE lining melting temperature of your hotend - unless it is entirely and exclusively metal. Don't go over 245°C in the future...