Close

Automatically Hollow a 3D Model

Check out how to automatically Hollow your 3D model.

Hollowing out a 3D Model is a re-mesh of the 3D model, emptying out the core, which will lead to less material waste, lower the cost of 3D Print, and saves print time.

https://youtu.be/6dlc4I25IlY
    Last edited by reemaj3D; 02-11-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    or you could simply just use 0% infill and accomplish the same thing without hassle :-)

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    or you could simply just use 0% infill and accomplish the same thing without hassle :-)
    This is the standard way, and is much easier. Some models do better with a 10% infill.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Yes I agree, 0% infill seems the straight forward way to do it for me. And thats if you actually want a hollow print. Most of the things we print need at least 10 - 25% infill

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    And I don't know about saving weight or material either. Walls are where most of the material/structure is, if you hollow out an object, you'll double the number of walls needed. Made a paint rack for testors paint bottles a while ago (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:622033 if anybody cares, but it is that paint bottle rack that testors should have but never made). I made serious attempts to cut back on the material usage by hollowing it out. Turned out a hollow structure was using 10-15% more material than a "solid" one at 10% infill.

That's why with my racing boat parts, I don't add "drill holes" to save weight. The added walls actually adds weight vs leaving it honeycombed.

And while it's very dependent on the exact print, laying infill is vastly quicker than laying another wall.

I am aware of that. This is mainly for powder material such as sandstone.