Close

Engineer-in-Training

Build Size and Firmware/Software?

Recently, I have been tasked with printing a 12" tall object, as you know my Prusa IV3 prints at 300mm which is slightly shorter than the 12" I need.

I have been experimenting and have lifted my X axis up to 300mm and have found that there is more room for it to travel. However, I cannot get my machine to move past 300mm which I assume is a safety feature.

In order to fix this I have change my build volume in Simplify 3D to 310mm as the Z max. However, I still cannot move my printer above that 300mm mark. I then looked in the configuration.h file on the firmware and cannot find a place that limits the build volume. Does anyone know how I can up my Z-Axis limits?

Thanks.

Technologist
    How about this setting in the configuration.h file? This is the setting on my 10" i3v.
    This is on line 263 of my file.

#defineZ_MAX_POS260

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidDave View Post
    How about this setting in the configuration.h file? This is the setting on my 10" i3v.
    This is on line 263 of my file.

#defineZ_MAX_POS260
    I saw that but it was under the Bed Leveling section and I do not use auto bed level, so I didn't think it applied to my situation. Am I wrong?

Technologist
    I do not know for sure, but would be easy to test. Set it to something really low like 50mm to test it. That way you do not have to raise your x-axis up very high to test it.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Have you considered slicing the part you want to print in two?

So that you only have to print 2x 6 inch pieces?

Netfabb is a piece of software that can do this for you

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidDave View Post
    I do not know for sure, but would be easy to test. Set it to something really low like 50mm to test it. That way you do not have to raise your x-axis up very high to test it.
    I will give this a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dex ltd View Post
    Have you considered slicing the part you want to print in two?

So that you only have to print 2x 6 inch pieces?

Netfabb is a piece of software that can do this for you
    Unfortunately the object has to be printed in piece as it is for a client.

If I couldn't find something like that in my Configuration.h, I'd probably start by taking the original Makerfarm Configuration.h for a 12" and the Configuration.h for a 10" (they all came in the same .zip file) and find the differences (on Linux, use the diff program. Can't tell you how to do it on Windows). The differences should be your build size parameters.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    I saw that but it was under the Bed Leveling section and I do not use auto bed level, so I didn't think it applied to my situation. Am I wrong?

PyramidDave was correct, your build envelope is defined in configuration.h under either auto bed leveling or mechanical settings depending on how old your firmware version is. It is defined under "//travel limits after homing" you need to change the #define Z_MAX_POS number to 305 or 310. I would advise not raising it too much (I think 320 was the mechanical maximum if I remember correctly). But you must account for any custom Gcode that will try to raise your Z (such as an ABL servo compensation, or any raise before homing settings in firmware or your slicing software)

Engineer-in-Training
    Thank you to everyone! I will update my firmware soon and let you know how it goes. I use manual bed levelling so switching the z max to 310 should be sufficent.