Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Alternatives to chicken wire

Hello,

Having watched the prints from the peachy improving in quality over the last while I am excited for what it can do. However, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for an initial base material that is not chicken wire? It would ideally be something that the print can start from without the large base deformation caused by the wire mesh.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sanded chicken wire.

Just take some emery cloth to your chicken wire base plate and sand it till it's really really thin.
    Or just buy a thinner mesh to start with.

I initially was thinking the same thing but after a little more thought I decided that the wire was a good choice, as it can be easily cleaned and reused. And I am sure that after we gain some experience with the printer we will come up with some standard bases to add to our models to that will print on the wire and make it easy to separate our model. One thing I was considering doing was to use a fine wire mesh and make a tube or inverted cone so I have something I can attach supports to if I find that is needed. I found a fine wire mesh online that is 1/10" and it is stainless steel. with this I was planning on cutting it into squares and just setting in on a PVC tube (cut to the right height) to print on. When done I just have to remove the wire mesh and model and I am ready to print again by adding a new wire square. But we will not no for sure until we get our printers in hand :-)

Student
    I sense that some experimentation will need to happen I was trying to avoid building parts raised in the air with supports which need to be removed afterwards, but it might be unavoidable. Robbing the mesh from one of those dollar store hand held sieves would probably provide a good cheap surface.

Peachy Printer Founder

I don't know how much the chicken wire costs, probably much less than this, but depending on the size of print it might work. ..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018BC...e+filter&psc=1

Unless the holes are too small that is.

Technician
    I do not think the size of the hole is a problem, BUT it looks like it is only about 2 inches across, so would only suit smaller printer setups, and does it have enough MASS to anchor the print?

Hehe. I don't think it's going to be that heavy, but it certainly won't float. ;-)

I don't know the answer, but maybe someone does; is the object being printed less dense than water? Given a salt water bath, would it float when not anchored?

I always thought the base was there to build on, I never considered that it also served to keep the print from floating.

Another thing that might be even better is this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00X7B...l+filter+scoop

Might need the handle bent to make an upside down L shape, but would make it easier to get things out of the soup, so to speak. Also, it should definitely be heavy enough to keep the print in place in case it wants to float.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I often find that when I need inspiration for something unusual in the 3d printer department I take a wander around my local pound shop :-)
    Pound/buck stores are a treasure trove of things that can be easily adapted for 3d printing purposes :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast