Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto bed level

Auto bed level

Anyone got any good links for the i3v. I've seen zen masters vids for i3 but that slows things down a lot it seems?

Is this worth exploring?

In practice, it doesn't slow printing down. The ABL normally runs after the heat bed gets to temperature and the hotend starts heating. I find that my ABL finishes right around when the hotend is at temperature.

With Auto Bed Leveling, you get a good first layer almost every time. It is well worth having just because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by cperiod View Post
    In practice, it doesn't slow printing down. The ABL normally runs after the heat bed gets to temperature and the hotend starts heating. I find that my ABL finishes right around when the hotend is at temperature.
    My ABL doesn't start until after both bed and nozzle heat up. This does slow things down a bit, I am set up per zen masters vids. Anyone know what to change to get it to go after bed heats up and before nozzle?

Quote Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
    My ABL doesn't start until after both bed and nozzle heat up. This does slow things down a bit,
    Okay, that *would* suck.It depends on your slicer, basically. With Slic3r, I just put my ABL commands in the "Start G-Code" section for the printer. However, that section isn't run until the heatbed is at temp and it's started the hotend warming up.I assume you're either not using Slic3r or perhaps an older version (I'm on 1.2.9), so you'd have to work out the right place to add ABL commands in your slicer. Assuming it's even possible.

I'm using Simplify3d and the ABL command is in the Starting Script area. I'll look around and see if I can put it someplace where it will run after the bed heats up. Thanks.

You should be able to tell your printer to start heating up but don't wait for that to happen. Then do the ABL commands. And then WAIT for everything to be up to temperature. I can start cold and just about the time the 4x4 grid is probed, everything is up to temperature if I'm printing PLA.

Technologist
    I have always probed my bed with the hotend and bed at printing temperature. My theory being that things expand when hot so the measurements may be off if taken with everything cold. Am I just wasting my time?

Quote Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
    I have always probed my bed with the hotend and bed at printing temperature. My theory being that things expand when hot so the measurements may be off if taken with everything cold. Am I just wasting my time?
    Well... That probably makes sense. But if you are consistent and print the same way all the time... It is easy enough to just adjust your Z-PROBE-OFFSET the right amount so the right thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
    I have always probed my bed with the hotend and bed at printing temperature. My theory being that things expand when hot so the measurements may be off if taken with everything cold.
    I've read that the bed can noticeably flex between hot and cold, so I like to have the bed at temp; even before I switched to ABL, I'd warm the bed before doing a manual level. But I've never heard the same with the hotend. It seems unlikely, and waiting for the hotend to be at temp before starting ABL strikes me as a recipe for excess oozing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast