Close

Conservationists Use 3D Printed Tortoise Shells To Retrain Wildlife

Conservationists in the deserts of the American South West are using 3D printed tortoise shells to train predators to look for alternative sources of food. Young tortoises are often a lunch time the target for ravens but this is resulting in a decline in their numbers that is unacceptable. Instead of going on the offensive against ravens, however, conservationists in conjunction with Autodesk and Hardshell Labs are looking at using decoy tortoise shells to train ravens to discount young tortoises as a worthwhile target. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/117042/3d-printed-tortoise-shells/

Student

Thanks Very Much...

For this thoughtful coverage. I'd look forward to the future possibility that 3DPrintboard.com will eventually have conversations in this thread. I found it this morning in searching for existing coverage Hardshell has received about this. If you find this project interesting, I post regular updates on the Hardshell Labs blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Conservationists in the deserts of the American South West are using 3D printed tortoise shells to train predators to look for alternative sources of food. Young tortoises are often a lunch time the target for ravens but this is resulting in a decline in their numbers that is unacceptable. Instead of going on the offensive against ravens, however, conservationists in conjunction with Autodesk and Hardshell Labs are looking at using decoy tortoise shells to train ravens to discount young tortoises as a worthwhile target. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/117042/3d-printed-tortoise-shells/