Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Printrboard scalability limitations?

Hey everyone,
    First post here.

I am having an issue with a Printrboard F5, it seems like I may have (hopefully)missed something compiling the marlin hex, maybe you guys can help.

20151223_033340.jpg

I built a fairly large printer, mechanically, turned out better than expected.
    My effective print area is 450X355X310mmH.
    However, even though I am setting my X/Y/Z_MAX_POS_DEFAULT, I seem to be capped in the firmware at around 250mm travel in any direction.
    My movements are very close to where they should be in steps/mm, maybe off by a mm or so.

I am suspicious of the firmware, mostly because of my auto bed leveling command response; as outlined in the firmware, I have my safe areas set up to probe in the center of the firmware calculated X/Y area after homing, and sure enough, the Z probe descends at around 125x125mm, instead of attempting my set travel dimensions. All behaviors mentioned are the same with Repetier and Pronterface.

The printer is NOT skipping steps or drive teeth, the issue persists in Repetier Host (with appropriate bed size/travel settings).

A quick background since I haven't added a sig yet, This is not my first printer or GCode machine, this is not my first Printrboard, and this is not my first firmware compilation/flash.

Thanks! I can include more data on request, does this forum have a 'spoiler' function for code, or just use pastebin or something?

Oops, I forgot to mention I am using the version 1 Marlin for Printrbot source, other versions give me operability issues that are even worse, like pin assignment issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wubwub View Post
    Oops, I forgot to mention I am using the version 1 Marlin for Printrbot source, other versions give me operability issues that are even worse, like pin assignment issues.
    Let me guess... You are compiling with Arduino V. 1.05, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Let me guess... You are compiling with Arduino V. 1.05, right?
    I was using 1.6.5, I believe, with teensy.

Are you thinking this a library issue?

I was using 1.6.5, I believe, with teensy.
    Are you thinking this a library issue?
    I don't know for sure. I ran into problems with V1.6.5 with the Marlin branch. MarlinDev works with 1.6.6. If you get the 'Hourly Build' of Arduino and install that, you may be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I don't know for sure. I ran into problems with V1.6.5 with the Marlin branch. MarlinDev works with 1.6.6. If you get the 'Hourly Build' of Arduino and install that, you may be OK.
    I'll take a look, see if that rectifies the issue.

Thanks, merry Christmas

Ok, recompiled with 1.6.7, and beta Teensy, still exact same issue. Stuck with that 250x250x250mmH square.
    Interestingly, this hex is a good deal larger than the last I compiled.

What the heck am I missing here? Is there a size sanity check code? I'm going to try a different source now, but I was getting issues with the Y endstop pin assignment before. The Y endstop would not trigger under any of the newest versions, didn't even get around to checking other mechanical properties, as that was a big no go to begin with.

Ok, even worse with other releases. It seems I'm stuck using the Printrbot source, same issue plus some with other releases that aren't printrboard specific. Here https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/...ot-prod/Marlin is the exact release I'm toying with, and I would really like to figure this one out since the other candidates give me grievous errors.

I'm going to try two things until someone can interject a better idea, I'm going to look through the Marlin master (https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/RC/Marlin) and see if there is any different definitions or calculations for xyz_max_lenth/base_max_length, and I'm going to look through the first source for similar. Call it a frustration move, not sure where else to go, I much prefer using a Marlin flavored hex over others, especially because the others I have tried give me oodles of convoluted compilation errors.

I will report anything interesting I find, hopefully I find a pointer to something I can adjust.

Ok, recompiled with 1.6.7, and beta Teensy, still exact same issue. Stuck with that 250x250x250mmH square.
    Interestingly, this hex is a good deal larger than the last I compiled.

What the heck am I missing here? Is there a size sanity check code? I'm going to try a different source now, but I was getting issues with the Y endstop pin assignment before. The Y endstop would not trigger under any of the newest versions, didn't even get around to checking other mechanical properties, as that was a big no go to begin with.
    If you attach your Configuration.h file to the post, we could take a quick look at your settings and see if something obvious can be seen. These settings are for my Delta printer. You are going to have to put in numbers that make sense for your printer. It is these settings in your Configuration.h file that are going to limit the bed size:

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
    #define X_MIN_POS (-DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS)
    #define Y_MIN_POS (-DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS)
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0
    #define X_MAX_POS DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS
    #define Y_MAX_POS DELTA_PRINTABLE_RADIUS
    #define Z_MAX_POS MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS

#define X_MAX_LENGTH (X_MAX_POS - X_MIN_POS)
    #define Y_MAX_LENGTH (Y_MAX_POS - Y_MIN_POS)
    #define Z_MAX_LENGTH (Z_MAX_POS - Z_MIN_POS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast