Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    • If you look at the Thingiverse terms of use or TOS, sec 2.1 explicitly limits use of the site to non-commercial use.

• 2.1 License. Subject to these Terms of Use, Company grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, license to use the Site and Services for your personal, noncommercial use.
    • If you have any questions regarding thingiverse related IP or use, I recommend you open a support ticket with MakerBot by emailing them at support@makerbot.com

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NBot View Post
    • If you look at the Thingiverse terms of use or TOS, sec 2.1 explicitly limits use of the site to non-commercial use.

• 2.1 License. Subject to these Terms of Use, Company grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, license to use the Site and Services for your personal, noncommercial use.
    • If you have any questions regarding thingiverse related IP or use, I recommend you open a support ticket with MakerBot by emailing them at support@makerbot.com
    That just means you can't use the site as a vehicle for advertising or selling stuff. It has no effect on the designs on the site.

I am sure if you just sell it on a second hand website nobody will do anything with it,

Its just if you realy have a shop and start selling it to realy earn money its better you are sure its Okay what your doing,

But if its just selling it to friends or Ebay/Second hand websites its okay and you shouldnt worry.

Student
    I personally have uploaded a few designs to "thingyverse" and a few other 3D sites.
    and if someone wants to print any of them for personal use, even giving to family / friends. i have no problem.
    but if someone starts a commercial venture printing and selling my designs and i found out i would be VERY upset.
    this should be a free sharing community. I hope I am paying forward in some small way.

robert

Copyright is very interesting with this type of thing. If the Creative Commons license says commercial is ok (as opposed to non-commercial), you should be ok.

Keep in mind, the original designer technically owns the copyright. They have granted you the license to duplicate their design in physical form and sell it.

So, you do not get the rights to the design, you only get a license to use the design.

Even if you make a derivative work (you modify it, to make a "new" design), it is still based on their design and they have rights to your new creation.

HOWEVER, I have been told by lawyers that once you get all legal about this, things change. If someone truly wanted to sue, the court system only acknowledges copyrights that have been registered. I would be surprised if there are many copyrighted designs that individuals have made.

Of course, this is no reason to blatantly take someone's design (because you know they cannot sue), but it is something to be aware of.

Also, due to the DMCA (Digital Media Copyright Act), if you accidentally put up copyrighted material, it is very easy for the copyright owner to request for it to be removed and for it to come down quickly. The process is very streamlined...

Drew Taylor
    https://3Dagogo.com

I'm curious. What percent of stuff you find on Thingiverse has a Commercial Creative Commons license? Do most of them allow you to sell your prints?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Markum_Debreeze View Post
    I'm curious. What percent of stuff you find on Thingiverse has a Commercial Creative Commons license? Do most of them allow you to sell your prints?
    Most objects can be selled. But, you have to put the source with the print.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Markum_Debreeze View Post
    I just pulled up the 25 most recent things and made note of the licenses. Here's what I got

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC BY-SA) - 22
    Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC) - 1
    Public Domain (CC0) - 1
    Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) - 1

Admittedly a rather cursory sample, but it looks like BY-SA is decidedly the most common license and it allows for commercial use, as long as you keep their name on it (see here for how to do that properly) AND make the the model available to anyone buying the prints you're selling, giving them the same rights to the model as you received.

Only one of the 25 models prohibited commercial use.
    Last edited by Compro01; 12-02-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12