Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What software for miniatures?

I'm looking into making miniatures for tabletop RPG games. 15mm and up (probably maxing out at 120mm, with most at 30mm). The miniatures will feature objects that should have an organic appearance (i.e. faces and wood) but also objects of a metallic nature (i.e. armor and weapons) and cloth (clothing). I expect most or all would be printed in plastic.

I'm an IT guy with no 3d printing experience, no CAD experience, no experience, really. Doing research, it would appear there are a great many different programs, and each seems suited for different things. What free programs would you recommend I start learning with?

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    123D (or Fusion 360), meshmixer...

Quote Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
    123D (or Fusion 360), meshmixer...
    Yes, I agree, Autodesk 123D software is Good and is Free !
    They have several software programs that can be downloaded.
    We use MeshMixer a lot for pre-print editing
    and 123Design is great for creating new designs

http://www.123dapp.com/design

I'm a big fan of TurboCAD.

Guys, read the OP's post. He wants to do organic modelling. TurboCAD and 123D are no good here. Meshmixer is though. Another one to try is Sculptris.

B...l....e....n.....d.....e.....r!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    actually one of the 123d apps is specifically for models/toys. So might be a good place to start.

But unless you're pretty artistic - you've got no chance anyway :-)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    But unless you're pretty artistic - you've got no chance anyway :-)
    That's kind of what I'm afraid of, to be honest. Hence I'm trying the software before putting $1300 or so into a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Guys, read the OP's post. He wants to do organic modelling. TurboCAD and 123D are no good here. Meshmixer is though. Another one to try is Sculptris.
    Autodesk 123D-Catch may also be good,
    if you want to start with figures that can be photographed.

Nobody can choose a software for you.

You can create miniatures of beings or machines with every 3d software.

What software to choose for private use depends on budget and how easy you find it to turn the image in your head into commands for the software.

If you have experience with green stuff, you might find a sculpting software (like ZBrush) to be the right thing for you.
    If you think in blocks and prefer to change those till the bitter end, parametric software (like Solidworks) my be the right thing for you.
    If you are used to drawing a NURBS modeler (like Rhino) might be the right thing for you.
    Probably you feel more comfortable with a mesh modeler like Lightwave.

There are functions that support miniature design of beings, like, rigging,cloth and hair simulation or sculpting, but you will have to learn how to use them, before you get results from them.
    There is even software especially for posing characters, like poser.

When reading the feature list of any software remember that you need geometry (meshes) in the end. A hair simulation, that only generates a texture is no real help, you will need one that will generate a mesh.

I use Cinema 4D, which has elements from all kinds of software. You can use parametric objects, but can convert them to a mesh and use sculpting tools on the mesh and rig it etc.
    But the workflow is different from other programs and you might prefer one over the other.
    For small miniatures (6mm scale) I usually only use parametric objects.
    For large miniatures (28mm) I use a mix of parametric objects, standard mesh operations and sculpting (faces and some details)

There are some Ogres I designed for a 28mm (the Ogres are larger of course) game http://brumbaer.de/index.php/3d-printing/44-ogres-kow
    and some Orcs for a 6mm game (6mm man size) http://brumbaer.de/index.php/epic-armageddon/35-orks

To find what works for you, you will have to test it out. You might be able to reduce the number of candidates by watching some tutorial videos and see whether the workflow speaks to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast