Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Can FTD resin with 0.5% shrinkage be used as Peachy Juice?

After reading the forum I think current resin that is going to be used for Peachy Juice can have shrinkage up to 8%. That's a lot, especially on larger prints. I wonder, did anybody tried with current Peachy prototype FTD resin? I do not know about its surface tension, but its viscosity seems to be similar to MakerJuice G+ resin. Its cost seems to be reasonable, €45 per kg (almost 1L). By the way, what is acceptable surface tension for Peachy Printer? For example, MakerJuice G+ resin have 36.5 dyn/cm surface tension.

The reason I ask is because I'm considering to preorder Peachy Printer, but I feel hesitant to preorder Peachy Juice because of its extreme shrinkage. I realize that it can be partially compensated by software, but I think that using a resin with more than order of magnitude less shrinkage could improve print quality, especially for prints that are not small.

So my question is, will be I able to use third-party resin as "Peachy Juice", assuming its surface tension is within acceptable range? Clearly, this may require somewhat different calibration and settings, so in order for this to be possible software needs to allow to make necessary adjustments.

Also, it may be worth considering to officially reselling different resins as more than one kind of Peachy Juice (so they could be used out-of-the-box by more people), it's not just about shrinkage, resins can also differ in flexibility, temperatures they can withstand after curing, etc. Some UV-curable resins can be used to make high-temp resistant parts or even molds for metal casting.
    Last edited by /dev/null; 11-27-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    After reading the forum I think current resin that is going to be used for Peachy Juice can have shrinkage up to 8%. That's a lot, especially on larger prints. I wonder, did anybody tried with current Peachy prototype FTD resin? I do not know about its surface tension, but its viscosity seems to be similar to MakerJuice G+ resin. Its cost seems to be reasonable, €45 per kg (almost 1L). By the way, what is acceptable surface tension for Peachy Printer? For example, MakerJuice G+ resin have 36.5 dyn/cm surface tension.

The reason I ask is because I'm considering to preorder Peachy Printer, but I feel hesitant to preorder Peachy Juice because of its extreme shrinkage. I realize that it can be partially compensated by software, but I think that using a resin with more than order of magnitude less shrinkage could improve print quality, especially for prints that are not small.

So my question is, will be I able to use third-party resin as "Peachy Juice", assuming its surface tension is within acceptable range? Clearly, this may require somewhat different calibration and settings, so in order for this to be possible software needs to allow to make necessary adjustments.

Also, it may be worth considering to officially reselling different resins as more than one kind of Peachy Juice (so they could be used out-of-the-box by more people), it's not just about shrinkage, resins can also differ in flexibility, temperatures they can withstand after curing, etc. Some UV-curable resins can be used to make high-temp resistant parts or even molds for metal casting.
    I have become increasingly convinced that the surface tension can be mitigated by floating a 'thin' layer of pure water on top of the resin. So you have brine in the normal way, then resin and then on top of the resin, say 0.5 cm of pure water i.e. 3 layers.

Technician
    my guess would be that it could be possible to use ANY UV setting liquid resin, just might have to play with the beam speeds during the print if te resin is slower curing than the peachy juice

Quote Originally Posted by harpo99999 View Post
    my guess would be that it could be possible to use ANY UV setting liquid resin, just might have to play with the beam speeds during the print if te resin is slower curing than the peachy juice
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear that trying out other resins should be possible.

But was there any reason to choose resin with 8% shrinkage for Paechy Juice? I guess higher the surface tension, worse the resolution and quality will be. So, it would be nice to know what's the surface tension of current Peachy Juice in dyn/cm? At the moment I have no idea if official Peachy Juice is just typical resin or is it a resin with exceptionally low surface tension. If somebody could answer this I would be very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    I have become increasingly convinced that the surface tension can be mitigated by floating a 'thin' layer of pure water on top of the resin. So you have brine in the normal way, then resin and then on top of the resin, say 0.5 cm of pure water i.e. 3 layers.
    This is interesting idea, but probably software will need to take refraction into account to prevent precision loss. Some loss of precision may still happen, but if surface tension was causing more problems, overall precision may improve (or may become worse, it is hard to tell without experimenting).

Does anyone officially know wither the Peachy works with heat or photo cured resin (ir or uv)?
    Also mike I cant see the water working as anything other than their word "hack", unless you have old degraded resin. I threw in a comment to the team through Rylan and havent heard a thing on it yet. Personally I need the head if the main product comes out with good reviews, but I would then try and build a Peachy bench for printing consistently instead of the over mount method. The resin cost has me drawn back personally though a 100 dollar toy could happen for me once or twice a year.

Technician
    as the laser used by the peachy IS UV (405nm) so any UV resin should work

I have found the MakerJuice Substance G datasheet. It has 8% shrinkage too, like Peachy Juice. I will not be surprised if other Peachy Juice properties turn out to be similar or even identical. Also, after rereading some topics in the forum, I have found this:
    Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    We have printed with a wider variety of resins now and there is much good news from this.
    For one it seems that all of the resins that maker juice sells will work well with the peachy printer,
    and also some of them work better! These findings are worthy of an update, so Ill leave the details out for now.
    I think that this implies that MakerJuice resins have similar or lower surface tension than Peachy Juice. MakerJuice Substance G+ have almost 37 dyn/cm surface tension. So I guess Peachy Juice surface tension is within 30-40 dyn/cm range, possibly close to 33.5 dyn/cm, if it is similar to Substance G. The datasheets do not mention the temperature for specified surface tension, but I guess it's either 20°C or 25°C. I also guess that any UV-curable resin which has less than 40 dyn/cm surface tension is likely to work with Peachy Printer. In case surface tension for some resin is too high at room temperature, heating resin in order to reduce its surface tension may be an option for some people who do not mind adding heater, temperature sensor and some kind of controller to keep temperature steady.

Obviously, all of above is just a guess. Ideally, Peachy Juice needs to have its own datasheet, because currently it is not clear why I or anyone else would even consider to buy it when so many other resins are available. Another problem is that Peachy Juice is offered only in 1L bottles, but I can purchase 300mL of FTD resin from local distributor (which is funtodo.ru in my case). Hopefully, Peachy team will give us more information about other resins they have tested and who should consider buying Peachy Juice and why. I also hope thay consider my idea to offer many different kinds of resins, because one single resin for everything is not enough...

For now, after a lot of thinking, I have decided to try FTD Industrial Blend first (obviously, not right now, but when I actually get Peachy Printer). It is hard (75 Shore D Hardness), has just 0.5% shrinkage, and it is good to use within -45°C to +225°C temperature range. Unfortunately, it's surface tension is unknown (I was not able to find it anywhere), but that's the risk I'm willing to take, especially because I can buy just 300mL to try it out. Also, it's viscosity at room temperature is similar to MakerJuice G+ substance, so I think there is good chance its surface tension is within acceptable range.

Hey /dev/null,

As far as I understood, the Peachy Juice is indeed almost identical to the Maker Juice and also manufactured by the same guys.
    The only differences are that because of Peachy being a top-down printer rather than a bottom-up, the formula could be changed a little making it perform worse in certain properties which the Peachy Printer isn't too sensitive to and better in other properties (maybe cheaper?).

Regarding different resin-types:
    I had expected you to do some research before posting:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...c/posts/612202

* Actually that information about different types of resin is even on the start page of the Kickstarter if you scroll down..

Currently those other two resins (flex & wiggle) are still prototypes but I hope they are going to bring that topic back up some time

Greetings, quertz
    Last edited by quertz; 12-05-2015 at 09:08 AM.

I saw their Kickstarter page, but it was very long time ago, so I either missed this part or forgot. But I'm sure I did not read the post you have linked before, so thanks for that. I wonder what happened to their prototypes? Hopefully they will continue working on them after Peachy Printer release. I think that if they would (re)sell many different kinds of resins in different quantities (for example, 250/300mL, 500mL, 1L, gallon) they could make more money, even if their resins will not be something special, many people still will prefer to buy officially supported resins. But I guess since they are already overwhelmed by number of pre-orders, they are not interested at the moment to increase number of pre-orders even farther. This maybe also the reason why they decided not to pre-sell wiggly and flexible resins and choose to offer PeachyJuice in only 1L bottles.
    Last edited by /dev/null; 12-05-2015 at 05:50 PM.

I have contacted FTD about their resins, and asked them how likely that their resins will work with Peachy Printer and if they know exact figures for surface tension. They told me that their resins can be used with top down printers which use either laser (like Peachy) or DLP. Here are relevant parts of their reply about surface tension:
    We haven't got any exact figures about the surface tension yet.
    The surface tension of the IB, CB and especially the SW is perfect for top down printing.
    I guess "perfect" here means "good".
    The surface tension of Snow White as well as Deep black is the lowest of all the blends we have.
    Here is a nice table to summarize what we know so far:

Resin Surface tension, dyn/cm Shore D hardness Viscosity, cP Shrinkage
    MakerJuice Substance G 33.5 75 25 8%
    MakerJuice Substance G+ 36.5 75 90 3.3%
    FTD Castable Blend Medium 73 85 0.5%
    FTD Industrial Blend Medium 75 95 0.5%
    FTD Standard Blend Medium 35 100 0.5%
    FTD Snow White Lowest 83 80 0.5%
    FTD Deep Black Lowest 81 80 0.5%

As already was mentioned, MakerJuice Substance G is most likely similar to PeachyJuice. Also, rylangrayston wrote that "all of the resins that maker juice sells will work well with the peachy printer", so we know that 90 cP viscosity is acceptable, and a bit higher is probably OK too. The viscosity in the table is determined at a temperature 25C for FTD resins and at 20C for MakerJuice resins. For people who do not know what Shore D hardness means, here is easy to understand picture.

So, what "medium", etc. surface tension actually means in the table above? We do not know that exactly yet. But I can try to make educated guess, but please keep in mind that it might be wrong. Even resins not intended for 3D printing sometimes have surface tension close to 40 dyn/cm. So, my guess is that most (or perhaps all) FTD resins have surface tension below 40 dyn/cm. But again, this is just a guess.

Since in most cases I will prefer to print opaque parts, FTD Snow White looks to me like a good choice for a first try. They also give "free" pigment to color the resin, so I will be able to print parts in white color + some other color of my choosing. If Snow White will work as expected, I may consider buying Standard Blend to print "softer" parts (hopefully it will work well with Peachy Printer). To actually try anything, I need Peachy Printer which I do not have yet, so I have to wait some time before I can experiment.

Some people may ask "if FTD resins are so good should I buy them instead of PeachyJuice?". Answer is, we do not know yet. Even if we did know exact figures for surface tension, answer would be the same. Somebody has to actually try FTD resin first with Peachy Printer to determine if results are actually good.
    Last edited by Dragon.sh; 12-09-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast