Close

e3d nozzle jam. My fault?

This is my first time printing on a newly built printer, so I'm wondering what I did wrong. .40mm e3dv6 nozzle heated to 250degC, starting extruding 3mm ABS at 15mm/s. Within 30 seconds the filament stopped feeding, and when I retracted it the nozzle was jammed.

Disassembled, confirmed the heat break was free and clear, with the plastic stuck solid in the nozzle. What could I have done to cause this "hollow" jam?

download_20151122_170602.jpg

I'm currently switching over to the magma hotend while this soaks in acetone.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    You can read this article to solve your problem about nozzle jam. Let me know if this works for you.

Still working on getting a sewing needle through it, been soaking for 48 hours. . Thank you for the link

Engineer-in-Training
    When I get a huge jam I use a torch and burn the jam out.

Engineer-in-Training
    Heat gun works just as well without the flame.

Engineer-in-Training
    starting extruding 3mm ABS at 15mm/s
    This is not clear to me. Do you mean 15mm/s of the 3mm filament, or 15mm/s of the extruded plastic (900 mm/min? at which width and layer height?)

If the former, you are trying to extrude (1.5^2)*PI*15=106 mm3/s which is way too much for any hotend I know of.