Close

newbie and my files wont print

Hello,
    I'm very new to 3d printing and I purchased a mega prusa printer. I've got it built and fine tuned. it works great with the include gcode files. However when I slice my files from 123d design the printer doesnt do anything. At first I thought it was my files so I tried some different ones and still nothing.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You should try Slic3r or Cura. (I'm a Slic3r fan) Probably, you didn't get the slicer setup correctly. With Slic3r it is important to tell it what kind of printer you have so it can generate the appropriate GCode. And you need to tell it other things such as the diameter of the filament, the heat settings, layer thickness, etc.

I've never used 123-Design. But my guess is you need to export the design as an .STL file in order to use the design.

Probably, the best thing to do is just get a .STL file from Thingiverse and try slicing it with Slic3r. See if that works... Then you can try to get 123-Design going if you really want to use it.

Thank you for the quick response. I'm using slic3r and feel as though I have it configured correctly. I export from 123d as an .stl which is why I'm confused. I know it's probably something simply I'm overlooking. I'll try a file from thingiverse and see what happens.

OK So it's something I'm missing. Maybe someone here can help with. So I load the file into slic3r, slice it, export as a gcode. Load it into ponterface and try and print. Then nothing. It doesn't matter where the stl file comes from.

You do need to set Slic3r up for your printer. What flavor of GCode is it generating?

RepRap/Marlin

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    post a gcode file that doesn't print so we can look at it. Change the filename extension to .txt so 3Dprintboard will accept it.

EDIT: The slicer could be telling the printer to wait for a condition that never happens. For example: The Mega Prusa doesn't appear to have a heated bed. But if the slicer tells the printer to wait for the heat bed to reach a set temperature, well, it'll never get there and the print won't start.
    Last edited by printbus; 11-22-2015 at 07:14 PM.

I think that is exactly whats happening. I tried turning off the heated bed function but no change. Of coarse I'm probably going about it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakinyantanka View Post
    I think that is exactly whats happening. I tried turning off the heated bed function but no change. Of coarse I'm probably going about it wrong.
    Got it!!! The extruder temp was set too high in slic3r and it never could reach it. Thank you so much for your help!!!