Close

Can this be printed?

I am looking at buying a davinci all in one 3d printer, to be able to print this out. This is one of 4 trim covers for my car fog lights, that break very easily and are hard to find. this is the most complex, the other side is just the reverse of this, the front face is smooth. I like tools in the shop and this will fit in well.20151119_134132.jpg20151119_134200.jpg20151119_134510.jpg20151119_134253.jpg

Thanks for any info!

You can print that. It shouldn't be too hard to design an exact duplicate. But you will have problems if you want it clear. And for sure, the printed piece is not going to be as strong as the injection molded piece.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Yes, you can print it with DaVinci. However, the model may not be strong and firm.

Thank you for the replies, this is good and bad news to hear! they are not structural by any means, these are simply for aesthetics and should not be tighten much. they do not need to be clear, i can sand and paint them.

On a side note is anyone willing to scan and print a sample of this for me? maybe we can make a run of them. We can discuss payment in PM. Also I own a vinyl/graphics printing business, we can work out a barter if wanted? Pm me. thanks again!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes you can print them and, yes - if done properly they'll be very strong.
    Anything over 2mm thick can be easily as strong as injextion moulded parts.

As has been hinted at, designing the part from scratch is usually better than scanning. The existing part is not terribly well designed for 3d printing.
    But would not be difficult to redesign for a much cleaner, easier object to print for maximum strength as well.
    And you would be better off redesigning for the 3d print - which will make the part stronger and easier to print than making an exact copy.

Ideally you need to find someone local to you.
    check 3dhubs.com for someone near you.

I would use OpenScad to design the part. And... It may be you don't have to duplicate the current design. Is there anything close to that post in the center that a screw goes through to hold the part on? If not, That can all be done with infill and make the part very strong. Also, if you are designing a part, you may as well add some customization like your name or something to it. After all, you are 3D Printing these and they can be anything you want them to be.

Where are you located?

If you're in the UK I may be able to help...

How large is your item?
    The printer in question has a maximum print size of 7.8-in x 7.8-in x 7.5

Here is a very blunt review of that printer....
    http://www.computerworld.com/article...sappoints.html