Close

3d Systems Teams With Hasbro, 3D Printers for Children?

Today, 3D Systems and Hasbro Inc announced that they will work together on what may end up being 3D printers for Kids. The other possibility would be games which require 3D printing.

http://3dprint.com/1045/3d-printers-...th-3d-systems/

Both companies are leaders in their respected industries, so this is one heck of a partnership. Should be interesting to see what they come up with. A product is expected by the end of this year.

Student
    What a solid Company. Great Idea to bring it to the youngsters. The more kids printing, the better we'll all be in 20 years.

Banned
    Gartner's blog has an interesting take on this story. They think that this Hasbro partnership may be exactly what is needed to mush 3D Printers onto consumers. They think that by 2015 we may see a huge impact. Education ad 3D Printing seems to go hand in hand.

http://blogs.gartner.com/pete-basili...inting-market/

Engineer
    I think over the next 2 years we will see dozens of large companies adopt 3D printing in some form or another. I have been saying this for a year now. 3D printing is certainly hyped up, but I still think the growth of the industry will surpass most predictions.

Staff Engineer
    I agree that home printing of toys is a compelling application. It doesn't take much imagination to foresee ads for action figures, dollhouse parts, or game pieces based on TV shows (or their internet equivalent) that kids can download and print at home. Getting the kids to design their own printable toys is more of a stretch, but with the right software I could see it happening. What's really needed, though, is a printer with a hopper and grinder instead of a filament spool, so the kids can throw in their old toys and make new ones without needing more material.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com