Close

Peachy Printer UV laser Shielding

For those like me who are concerned with lasers out in the open
    I plan to build a special box with protective laser UV shielding when I do plan on purchasing a Peachy Printer.

I think it would be a good idea for others to know where to get good UV laser shielding material in case they want to build there own box or case.
    in that way you will not need always laser goggles to view what is going in the peachy printer. So your eyes do not get accidentally burnt by the laser or if somebody else gets careless around the peachy printer.

Does anybody have any suggestions of where to find good UV laser shielding material ???

Engineer-in-Training
    Honestly, you can just use opaque sides and a darkened acrylic for a window. Tape or paint works well. Probably cheaper. If you find a good source, please share it.

Otherwise, http://www.lasersafetyindustries.com...e/default.aspx

I think the final version will have some shield, as seen in the update #20.

Engineer-in-Training
    Despite the included shielding, some users may add more. I would like to know any cheap sources of UV shielding.

Technician
    personally I will be using UV stablised clear perspex and uv stabilised clear vinal flexible film for my printer stand

Peachy Printer Founder
    At peachy we have been on the hunt for such a material for quite some time
    This stuff is rather great.... we have tested it and are quite happy.
    http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/c...tails.html#179

We are thinking about selling it in our peachy printer store by the foot so that people can make printer housings that let you see the printer in action while at the same time be safer from laser light, essentially adding an additional layer of safety on top of safety glasses and low laser power". We are also finding the mark up on this stuff is rather high so hopefully the orders from the peachy store are large enough that we can get it in bulk and pass on some savings to the community.

In this image you can see the gels We are testing .... arrows point to the gels that we thought did a good job at blocking 405 light, The percentages are just guesses not actual measurements.

The two best gels were Chrome orange #179 and Medium Yellow #010

DSCF2798.jpg

Thats what we have found works best so far... let me know if you guys find something else of interest!

PS
    After seeing how well this orange film worked I started shining laser light threw every orange plastic i could find, To my suprize there are nearly identical looking orange plastics out there that don't block any 405nm light! So dont be miss led by the colors you can see with your eyes. The human eye dose a very pour job at seeing 405nm light. In the same way your eyes cant see radio waves, they almost cant see 405nm light.
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 02-28-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: wording safty better

Engineer-in-Training
    That is a very good point about using plastics that one isn't 100% sure are laser safe. Acrylic is reported to block UV effectively, but standard UV only blocks about 70% of uv, and that's only up to 380. The peachy community will have to find good safety material if we do not wish to use opaque materials, or the continuous use of laser safety goggles.