Close

Banned

MakerBots in Schools

I have heard that many schools are beginning to get their own MakerBot printers. Does anyone know of any schools that have these? More particularly, any schools in the US? Everything I've heard about MakerBots in schools have been in Europe.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    My school has both the Replicator 2 and the Replicator 2X.

They are used with the teaching of 3D modeling classes that we offer as an elective.

-Welcome to New Jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    My school has both the Replicator 2 and the Replicator 2X.

They are used with the teaching of 3D modeling classes that we offer as an elective.

-Welcome to New Jersey!
    That's pretty impressive. May I ask you if your middle schools, elementary and high schools all have these, or just the High Schools? Also, what are these printers used for? Is there a specific class for 3D printing?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    That's pretty impressive. May I ask you if your middle schools, elementary and high schools all have these, or just the High Schools? Also, what are these printers used for? Is there a specific class for 3D printing?
    There is not a specific class labeled as '3D-Printing' but it's pretty much included in the modeling class, and from what I know, only the High School can take these classes.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    There is not a specific class labeled as '3D-Printing' but it's pretty much included in the modeling class, and from what I know, only the High School can take these classes.
    That's awesome. I hope my kids will have experience with 3D printing starting in middle school. I know I will try and encourage it at school meetings. This is the future, so they SHOULD be teaching it in schools in my opinion.

I would totally support that! My daughter started working with CAD and printing things at age 6 (7 now). She's getting an early start in industrial design and who knows how that could pay off in her future.

I see the 3d printing market being a lot like the PC market in the 70s/early 80s. It's a very exciting time and those who are getting started in it early will have a head start for the future just like I did when I learned to code way back when on my C64.

MakerBot would be really smart to give 3D printers to schools. It would push the technology out there, get their name out there and teach their future customers how to use their printers. People end up buying products they are familiar with, so it would really be a great future investment, not only for schools, but for MakerBot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Critter View Post
    MakerBot would be really smart to give 3D printers to schools. It would push the technology out there, get their name out there and teach their future customers how to use their printers. People end up buying products they are familiar with, so it would really be a great future investment, not only for schools, but for MakerBot as well.

This is so true because now having worked with the two printers, I am seriously considering buying one for myself...

That is, if I can scrape together 25 hundo...

MakerBot is genius. They are getting people to donate printers to schools. It serves several purposes, but it seems like MakerBot is getting a lot of free publicity out of this. They should atleast cut the price of the printers in half or sell then for costs to those buying them for schools.