Close

The 3D Printed Bikini Which Cleans The Ocean

The latest in fashionable swimwear, the Sponge Suit, can actually clean up the ocean while you’re swimming in it! Thanks to Drs. Mihri and Cengiz Ozkan, both professors of Electrical Engineering, the light, carbon based material called “Sponge,” can absorb up to 25 times its weight in pollutants like oil and chemicals, although it doesn’t absorb water. The Ozkans and their lab team collaborated with New York City- and Istanbul-based architecture and design firm, Eray Carbajo, to create this 3D printed eco-friendly bikini. Check out more details at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/100685/3d-printed...-cleans-ocean/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol - that's brilliant.
    But they need to make gents swimming shorts - way more material so they'd absorb way more gunge !

And bathing suits should just be the start.
    How about wrapping a ocean liners hull in the stuff, or making fishings nets with it incorporated.

That kind of scale could arguably make an actual difference.

Yeah because actively concentrating pollutants close to your skin is a good idea and an actual selling point ?

Who would be so ecofriendly he would actually buy in ? I think I'm way too honest to do advertizing in the US, and I must stop postponing watching MadMen.