Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Hey, I'm just back from vacation. I'll have to check with the guys; I don't know if they printed with the filament yet or not. I do know that our settings are not likely to translate easily, as we don't presently use that E value in the gcode - we calculate our flow based on nozzle diameter, layer thickness, feed (travel) speed, and adjustable flow variables.

Yes that makes sense that your values might not translate into what we are using. Replicator 2X has some pretty neat ways of adjusting every single detail though. Just going to start with some of the temps and feed speeds I have already found while making thicker filament. Homemade filament is much tougher to process than expected though, consistency is key from what I have read and that's one of the hardest things to keep if you aren't using industrial grade equipment. Let me know what you guys figured out so far. I will send an update after we try a few things.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Will do...

Well no luck trying to extrude thicker filament with the Filastruder. As soon as the thick stuff comes out, it takes forever for it to cool enough to become solid. In the mean time, it just starts to sag and make the thin filament we have been having no luck with. Tried extruding flat and also at 4 degrees pointed downwards. Back to square 1. Any suggestions for trying to at least extrude some of this PCL?

PCL can be mixed with carbon black to make a printable conductive filament called carbomorph, as described in this paper: A Simple, Low-Cost Conductive Composite Material for 3D Printing of Electronic Sensors.

-Unrelated info removed and referenced article located:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0049365

-Davo
    Last edited by Davo; 11-09-2016 at 07:16 AM.

So, we have been trying to extrude pure PCL from pellets, and not having any consistency with the diameter using a Filastruder. Any possible fixes for this issue? Maybe the Filastruder isn't worth the money spent? Debating whether to add carbon nanofibers in hopes that it will help hold its form when coming out of the nozzle, but not sure how effective that will be. Does anyone have experience with using the CNF to extrude with PCL in hopes of making good filament? We have been able to print small amounts with the consistent 1.75mm diameters but anytime it gets a little off size, there goes the print. Extruder on the printer doesn't push out filament and the operation is wasted.

We just melt the pellets and print with that. We don't create filament. Sorry.

Our MK1-250 head has a spring loaded bearing assembly to keep the filament snug against the hobbed motor shaft, which allows for variances in diameter. We can usually run filament between 1.6 and 1.9mm.

Looks neat, I just checked it out on the website. Is this extruder compatible with multiple printer types? I also looked at the MK2-250 which is for your flexible filaments, it seems like that would work for PCL as well because of its flexibility. Let me know if you guys make one of these that are compatible with different printer types. Might look into picking one up if it can print the PCL.

No, we communicate over CANBUS, and I'm unaware of other printers doing so.

The MK2-250 is great for flexible filaments, but the shafts are in fixed positions, so it is less adaptable to variations in filament diameter.

Ahh okay. Are you aware of any reliable extruders that can be used at home to make filament that you might recommend? The Filastruder isn't cooperating or giving us anything consistent at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast