Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Soldering PLA together? Will it work?

I know this is a rather crazy question. However, has anyone ever tried to solder to 3D Printed items (PLA) together using a soldering iron? Would it work? I know there are times when we want to print something large that won't fit in my build volume. Also times when we rather just print smaller parts. Could this work, if done correctly?

Student
    I tried it. It is possible, but difficult to make a reliable connection. You can coat the melted pla from one piece to the other. I would say, try it yourself

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Welding plastic works fine, you just need a steady hand and a gentle touch.

Old school fused deposition.

Super Moderator
    You fused it together to start with, so there's no reason why you can't do it again. Only issue is getting the entire surface of both parts to the right temperature uniformly.

Or you can run a bead like this guy does.

Alternatively, use some solvent cement.

Engineer
    yes plastic welding is done every day. there are a few types of welders. the cheapest is no more than a soldering iron with a temp controller on it. others use hot air some use nitrogen.

This is also a method that can work on getting rid of the print lines that show up from the layering of PLA. I've tried it but it takes a lot of time and skill.

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    I've put motorcycle fairings back together after a fall by welding the back face with a soldering iron. Not sure what kind of plastic they were.

Engineer
    chayat, most side fairings are a nylon and abs mix except yamaha which is polypropylene. the rest of the fairings are abs. i work on sportbike bodywork everyday that how i know but yes you can plastic weld them back together no problem. the only issue with a soldering iron is the temp is completely uncontrolled and or way too high for plastic so 90% of the time the plastic is cooked from the heat and its half broken down, charred or boiled making bubbles which results in a weak weld. its really not much different than welding metal. for a strong weld its experience and having the right tools for the job.

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+
    all good info. IU was confused before opening and reading, and was also going to suggest krazy glue. I am still new to printing, and don't get to mess too much, but I finished a recent failed print by gluing a few extra layers.

Student
    yeah, Like kenny said, if you're in a pinch, superglue definitely does the trick, but everybody else says its doable. Best of luck with it, also show images when done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast