Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Do we even need to buy printers anymore? Is 3D Hubs the future of mass printing?

Do you think that 3D printing for most people will be sending a design for someone else to print for them, or is 3D Hubs' success only temporary until printers become cheaper and easier to use?

We are conducting research on the members of 3D Hubs so if you have a hub there, please answer our survey !
    We really need your input, and it only takes 2 minutes.

Link to our survey: http://goo.gl/forms/ebnjKbVup7
    Remember, sharing is caring!

Best,
    Adrian

Interesting survey, it raised some new points for me. I think 3D Hubs is a perfect platform for 3D printing to be spread to the average user. At the stage 3D printers are today, for most people it does not make sense to buy their own printer. I would advice beginners to first order a few prints through the hub, before making the investment.

Good luck ! Would love to see your findings once you're done.

I will use them while I set up my own, will use them to test my Metal coating system I am building

For most 3D printer users it's a Learning, Creative and Fun 'Hobby' !
    It's No longer a 'Hobby' if you have someone else Do it For you !

And there's really no Need for it to be Other than a Hobby,
    when nearly everything that can be 3D-printed can also be purchased in Molded or Machined form
    for less money and more accurately,
    unless it is a new design creation or Art-form, which again is usually a Hobby.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 10-06-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well 3d hubs certainly isn't an answer. Haven't had anything through them yet, or even looked like it :-)

Plus even 3d hubs makes things pretty expensive. When you can buy a decent working fully built machine for £329, anyone who is likely to use 3dhubs for more than one print - will most likely just buy their own printer.

So rather than printing services being the end of the desktop machine - I think the cost of them will actually excourage more people to buy their own printer.

And pretty much 100% of what I print can't be bought as an injection moulded thing.

I think it will be important to distinguish between 3D printing as a hobby and as a way to sporadically getting things printed because you actually need something. For me, it will be really interesting to see how the technology can move away from being a hobby to having more applied value for the mass market. Surely, we would expect application areas for consumers to soar as the technology becomes more readily available - wouldn't you agree?

I can see how the cost of printing may not in all cases be the reason for using 3D Hubs - but what about the complexity of use? 3D printing may not be rocket science, but I would argue that it's not enough 'plug-and-play' for the mass to adopt...

Quote Originally Posted by admi View Post
    I think it will be important to distinguish between 3D printing as a hobby and as a way to sporadically getting things printed because you actually need something. For me, it will be really interesting to see how the technology can move away from being a hobby to having more applied value for the mass market. Surely, we would expect application areas for consumers to soar as the technology becomes more readily available - wouldn't you agree?
    Yes, but the primary limiting factor of 3D-printed 'Functional' objects, (not Art objects),
    is that they are Not as Strong and Durable as same type parts made by Molding or Machining.
    And I doubt 3D technology will ever advance to the Same Durability level.

I think 3D printing will become an even greater Creative Artist Tool though

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    is that they are Not as Strong and Durable as same type parts made by Molding or Machining.
    And I doubt 3D technology will ever advance to the Same Durability level.
    I disagree completely with that.
    If you configure the print properly parts should be more durable and stronger while also being lighter.

The ability to alter the interior density and configuration of the interior of an object make things more durable than solid parts.
    Solid parts will shatter because shockwaves propagate quickly through solid medium.
    The same part made with a non-solid interior and strong skin, will not shatter as shockwaves do not propagate well through voids.
    Also a non-solid part will have better flex.

Also the sheer variety and strength of available fff filaments - from super strong nylons to incredibly tough flexible materials means that you can more easiily tailor the material and print settings to an object.

If you print it correctly and understand how changing layers and infill changes the final objects properties - then you should be producing parts every bit as strong - and in most cases, more durable - than injection moulded parts.

If you can't use a machine properly - don't blame the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I disagree completely with that.

If you can't use a machine properly - don't blame the machine.
    I'm curious why you are always such a Negative and 'Insulting' person?
    Do you just like to start Arguments ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast