Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cura with Flashforge Creator Pro?

I'm trying some alternatives because ReplicatorG is cranky and VERY slow to generate gcode.

Has anyone got Cura working? I'm getting errors like this:

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
    Connecting to: /dev/cu.usbmodemfd121 with baudrate: 115200 (fallback)
    Connected to: Serial<id=0x1064b85d0, open=True>(port='/dev/cu.usbmodemfd121', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=3, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Detecting baudrate'
    Trying baudrate: 250000
    Send: M105
    Unexpected error while reading serial port: SerialException: 'device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)' @ machineCom.pyo:_readline:516
    Changing monitoring state from 'Detecting baudrate' to 'Error: SerialException: 'device reports re...'
    Connection closed, closing down monitor

Senior Engineer
    Repg does not generate Gcode. I use Cura and then RepG to convert it to X3G file.

It is all I use.

Cura will not talk to your printer at all.

slic3r is free and decent.
    simplify3d cost but is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Repg does not generate Gcode.
    RepG does generate g-code.

Easiest alternative for FF creator series printers is Makerware.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    RepG does generate g-code.
    Well my repG calls either Skeinforge or Slic3r as a G code generataor. I can't see any options anywhere for repG to generate it.

Mind you I tend not to update things once they work so maybe it does now.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't think repg has been updated for a decade or two :-)

I honestly couldn't stand how slow it slices.

But makerware is reasonable.

During the period I was waiting for a 3D printer I tried most of them and liked cura the most.
    But simplify3d is hands down the best and if you print more than one thing a week - it's well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Well my repG calls either Skeinforge or Slic3r as a G code generataor. I can't see any options anywhere for repG to generate it.

Mind you I tend not to update things once they work so maybe it does now.
    RepG is, to my understanding, a front-end for Skeinforge and (a very ancient) Slic3r. So yeah, it can export both g-code and x3g.

I only used it to access settings in the firmware and do the dual nozzle calibration. Oh yes, and I use it to convert g-code output from Slic3r to x3g when I play around with Slic3r. Its not really good for anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    don't think repg has been updated for a decade or two :-)

I honestly couldn't stand how slow it slices.

But makerware is reasonable.

During the period I was waiting for a 3D printer I tried most of them and liked cura the most.
    But simplify3d is hands down the best and if you print more than one thing a week - it's well worth the money.
    About a decade is right.

Makerware is ok, although really not that quick. The prints it outputs are great though. One thing I don't like is that it seems to run out of memory pretty quick.

Technician
    Don't use cura to talk directly to the printer. The thing that doesn't read gcode directly is your printer. Makerbots and clones use x3g protocol. Use cura to do the slicing and then use gpx or RepG to convert the gcode to x3g for the SD card. You'll particularly need to get the start and and gcode to be correct for your printer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast