Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1.1

Engineer

Marlin 1.1

Wondering if anyone here has tried out Marlin 1.1 yet
    and if there were any issues or feedback related to it

Have not tried it yet. I grabbed the RC and am going through the config.h file to transfer my settings and get a feel for whats new or different.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    Wondering if anyone here has tried out Marlin 1.1 yet
    and if there were any issues or feedback related to it

I am VERY interested in hearing comments on this. It doesn't matter if it is bug reports, or comments about how easy (or hard) it is to get going. I believe there is an issue with Auto Bed Leveling for Delta printers that do not have a servo. But I haven't had a chance to dig into that. Very soon, I'll have that type of printer so if there is a problem I'll be able to get that fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I am VERY interested in hearing comments on this. It doesn't matter if it is bug reports, or comments about how easy (or hard) it is to get going. I believe there is an issue with Auto Bed Leveling for Delta printers that do not have a servo. But I haven't had a chance to dig into that. Very soon, I'll have that type of printer so if there is a problem I'll be able to get that fixed.
    Well I got it flashed to my rumba board and it's printing out Benchy as we speak. A few observations so far.

The LCD display items are cleaner and easier to read
    The "beep" tone is much more quiet
    Menus are more streamlined

Dislikes:
    Turning the knob to adjust settings works in the opposite direction expected. When rotating clockwise values decrease instead of increase.

That's I have so far, but things are working well now after some pains after i forgot to disable max endstops.

Roxy, if you have time I have a question about Marlin in general with the Rumba board. I have an extra thermistor that I want to use as a chamber temperature sensor but I cannot seem to figure out how to set that up in the firmware. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot_or_Stick View Post
    Dislikes:
    Turning the knob to adjust settings works in the opposite direction expected. When rotating clockwise values decrease instead of increase.
    What type of LCD Display do you have? There was some clean up of the LCD Panel code and there was a lot of discussion about the fact the knob turned the wrong way from what people intuitively think it should do. There was talk of making it configurable but because of all the other changes going on... It was decided to leave it alone until things settle down.

With that said, if you go into ultralcd.cpp and go to about line # 1248 you will see this:

encoderPosition += encoderDiff / ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP;

If you change it to:

encoderPosition -= encoderDiff / ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP;

I think everything will work the same except the knob will turn the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot_or_Stick View Post
    That's I have so far, but things are working well now after some pains after i forgot to disable max endstops.

Roxy, if you have time I have a question about Marlin in general with the Rumba board. I have an extra thermistor that I want to use as a chamber temperature sensor but I cannot seem to figure out how to set that up in the firmware. Any ideas?
    On the extra thermistor, I'm not sure what happens when you enable it because it isn't controlling anything. But you can turn it on by just #define'ing a thermistor type in Configuration.h Probably, I would turn on

#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0

With a non-zero thermistor type and just see what happens. (This assumes you have a one extruder machine) And at worst case, you can add a line or two to ultralcd.cpp to display the temperature if it doesn't just show up by itself.

Senior Engineer
    Is G7 in marlin_main?

What is G7 ?

Senior Engineer
    Raster for laser cutters. I just wondered if it had made it into the main source.

I don't think it made it in. Mostly, it is bug fixes that are in Release Candidate #1. There is some restructuring of the firmware to facilitate cleaner code going forward. But there really are not that many new features.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    What type of LCD Display do you have? There was some clean up of the LCD Panel code and there was a lot of discussion about the fact the knob turned the wrong way from what people intuitively think it should do. There was talk of making it configurable but because of all the other changes going on... It was decided to leave it alone until things settle down.

With that said, if you go into ultralcd.cpp and go to about line # 1248 you will see this:

encoderPosition += encoderDiff / ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP;

If you change it to:

encoderPosition -= encoderDiff / ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP;

I think everything will work the same except the knob will turn the opposite direction.

On the extra thermistor, I'm not sure what happens when you enable it because it isn't controlling anything. But you can turn it on by just #define'ing a thermistor type in Configuration.h Probably, I would turn on

#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0

With a non-zero thermistor type and just see what happens. (This assumes you have a one extruder machine) And at worst case, you can add a line or two to ultralcd.cpp to display the temperature if it doesn't just show up by itself.

I have the full graphical LCD (reprap discount). Your fix for the knob rotation worked great though it does apply universally, not an issue though.

Also I was able to set my extra thermistor up for my second "extruder" though I did try to set it up as extruder 4. I ran into a lot of issues in the firmware when I enabled a fourth extruder so I decided to just leave it as number 2.

The benchy came out well but I want to run some more tests after I re-do my travel and printing speed settings. Thanks for all the help so far!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast