Close

3D Printing a flat Whistle

Is it possible to 3D print a flat whistle?

Something like this image. Would the curves for the air exits be possible to print?

I was thinking of making something a bit larger in width and length but the same thickness.

If you try to print it horizontal, it is possible but unless you know how to print soluble support, you would need to print without support at all : "bridging". This is not exactly difficult but it does need some tuning to get it right. A few tries and you should be OK.

Thinking about it, if you try to print it vertical, then it will be much easier : you can use a little support on the air exhaust and it will still be removable. I'd definitely do it that way.

Senior Engineer
    Probably better to print it without the reed and cut the reed shape afterwards. You will not get the sharp leading edge that you need to cut the air direct from any FDM printer I don't think.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    should print without any issues, have it on it's side. reduces the bridging and gives correct orientation for the reed.

Lots of whistles on thingiverse :-)

Senior Engineer
    Do they actually work. With a minimum leading edge of 0.2mm or so you will have to blow them like **** to get a sound out I would think.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=whistle&sa=

the short answer is - yes they work :-)

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Indeed, it is possible to print your flat whistle.