Close

The TSA Has Been Compromised Thanks to 3D Printing

Thanks to the Washington Post, high quality pictures of TSA approved master-keyed locks made their way onto the internet and were quickly turned into 3D printable copies. TSA guidelines forbid the use of any luggage lock that does not have a TSA approved master-key and will remove any non-approved locks. So essentially every piece of luggage travelling in the country is now vulnerable to anyone with a 3D printer and access to luggage. You can read more about the security flaw over on 3DPrint.com. More details on this story here: http://3dprint.com/95010/tsa-keys-3d-printed

Below is a picture of the various 3D printed master-keys from the TSA:

Senior Engineer
    Hmm, I had a different meaning for "the land of the free", seems I was wrong in my understanding.

I am a bit gobsmacked that the powers dictate what sort of lock you can and cannot use. I have never had a problem even in the US travelling with combination padlocks on luggage.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that's a very very bad thing.
    It's bad enough that customs can go through your luggage whenever they like. After all it's already been: sniffed, dropped, scanned and kicked.

But now every part time baggage handler will be able to open the cases as well - oh yeah that'll really help international tourism.

And it's not as simple as carrying evrything you value in your carry on bag.
    A lot of stuff I value, and have on my person all the time (when not on an aeroplane) can't be carried on aeroplanes so has to go in the hold luggage.

Fortunately it is ONLY america who has the 'staff must be able to steal stuff from your luggage' rule. The rest of the world is a lot more sensible.

That said - LIKE going on holiday to the states. Can't afford it at the moment, but hey that'll give them time to change the locks and keys :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-10-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Air travel security procedures in the US have been a fustercluck since 9/11.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    not just the us.

You can't take a pair of nail scissors through customs. But once into the duty free zone you can buy glass bottles full of flammable liquids - hell it's practically compulsory, razors, cigarette lighters - you know all the stuff you can't take through security.

At no point has logic ever been applied to airport security.

Go first class and they will give you sharp metal knives and glass bottles. 'cos first class passengers could never be hijackers.

If I ever stopped laughing I'd probably have to cry.