Close

How to design a frame for a tablet inside car console / dash out of measurements?

Hi.
    I would like to design a frame for an already completed 3d model - Nexus 7 2012 tablet. The frame is supposed to hold the tablet in place and is supposed to be attached in between the frame of current console.

This is what my current dash looks like (it's not my dash however it's exactly the same model):
    406Dash.jpg
    This is what I would like it to look like:
    file.php?id=3759.jpg

Some of you can probably notice that the heating controls look slightly newer on the second picture. That's because my Dash (just like 1st picture) is a D8 model where as the 2nd picture shows D9 controls. But don't worry about it, since I bought the D9 controls too and I don't have to worry about the rear demister, emergency lights switch and temperature sensor.

Anyway I would like to point out that my friend that has built the Nexus 7 into a deformed double din from another car (I believe it was a Laguna) - you can tell it from little imperfections on the borders of the outer frame.
    However he did make a few sketches for this tablet in Google Sketch Up (but didn't execute them because he did not have a 3D printer)
    file.php?id=3305.jpg file.php?id=3306.jpg
    Basically, he wanted to just have the bottom (thicker) part secured in the dash / console and then attach the second frame on top with magnets, so that he could take the tablet out whenever he wanted
    I don't mind having mine secured properly but I'm ok with the magnets idea too.

I wonder if it is possible to somehow convert these pictures in a way so that Catia V5 would be able to read those parts?

But since I don't know how to do that I've decided to design my own frame.
    - I have downloaded the Nexus 7 part from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1982861 - exactly: http://www.mediafire.com/?p7o5tk9o7nvsp1c
    - I have decided to make a frame that will hold nexus 7 to exact measurements
    - I have just done few simple steps so that the outer shell wouldn't fill with the logo so the tablet could slide in place https://youtu.be/eBV840GlXZs
    - - Yes, I understand how unprofessional it looks to stick a plate onto a logo (as seen in my example), however I just don't know any other way yet.

I thought I could play around with the final frame to split this chunk of model into 2 pieces (bottom and top).

However, I can't create the the frame because I don't know how to transfer all the 'real' measurements from dashboard so that Catia would read those perfectly and so that the frame would fit nice and tight.
    Is there a possibility to take a picture next to some scale so that Catia could understand the outer measurements, if it could maybe be transferred into a sketch?

What do you think? Could you help me with my current problem with measurements (and other obvious)? Or do you have a different view on how I could execute the idea?

It's my first day with designing 3D. I already bought all the parts needed - tablet, speakers, amplifiers, suppressors, dvb-t usb dongle, 12v to 5v usb, usb splitter, charge and on the go y shaped cable, audio interface, equalizer and the D9 controls and additional buttons. All I need is the printed 3D frame to install all that. My university has available printers to use and I got a rough quote of $70 AUD for that project.

Thanks
    Michael