Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am getting filament slippage only when....

so when I print I am getting filament slippage and I know its that due to clicking and when it clicks I can fell it in the filament also when it clicks I can see it stop extruding for a split second the slippage only happens when printing long outlines or solid layers it doesn't happen on small outlines or on infill you can see it in pic please help

I have clear the nozzle, printed at higher temp, and tried tightened the tension screw for the filament

OK
    Is the filament grip gear clean (no dust in the teeth) ? Is the gear correctly screwed on the motor axis ?

Have you tried rotating the spool by hand ? It has to be real effortless and smooth.

Have you recently transitioned from ABS to PLA ? If so, it is possible that ABS bits do a blockage. Try to heat the hot end and run filament to get rid of that.

Have you over heated your hotend once ? That may damage the peek tubing and make the feed more difficult. Inspect the tube.

Printrbot support told me to get a metallic brush to clean the hot end : snap a wire, take gloves, glasses and a pincer and put the thin wire into the hot end from below to remove the blockage. Be careful and take care of your safety while doing that : a lot of hot parts around.

I have seen somewhere someone talking of putting olive oil on filament a little to ease the way in the PTFE tubing. I don't do it but it's a thought.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try printing slower, gives the machine more time to feed the filament so should slip less.
    Also try lowering the temperature slightly. the filament is stiffer and should feed easier.
    It's a constant balance between temp and print speed.

People starting out tend to believe what it says on the box - ie: print at 100mm/s or faster.
    This is actually pure fantasy :-)
    most of us print at between 40-70 mm/s.

Everything else looks good. No signs of under extrusion in the infill.

Ok so I tried everything suggested but I am still getting clicking sounds and bad prints...I also tried changing the filament which improved it a lot but it still clicks and slips but not as drastic would setting the filament size in the gcode a little smaller than the actual filament so say the filament is 1.75mm exactly but I input it as 1.72mm would that cause it to grip a little more?

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by crn3d View Post
    Ok so I tried everything suggested but I am still getting clicking sounds and bad prints...I also tried changing the filament which improved it a lot but it still clicks and slips but not as drastic would setting the filament size in the gcode a little smaller than the actual filament so say the filament is 1.75mm exactly but I input it as 1.72mm would that cause it to grip a little more?
    No it will not grip better it is only used for volume of plastic. It needs to be set accurately after making lots of measurements on your actual filament.

Your problem is not being able to melt enough plastic. Slow the print speed down to 20 and see how that goes then increase it until you suffer the same problem and then knock it back a bit.

Right now I am printing at 15% infill .3 layer height 2 shells 65mm/s feedrate 90 travel 205 temp I cleared the nozzle changed filaments tighten tension on filament the spool turns freely with ease I just cant seem to figure out wtf is happening...

0,3mm layer ? What is your nozzle diameter ? If it's less than 0,4mm then it's not ideal.

Have you tried giving extruding commands without filament in ? Does that still does it ? is your tube looking ok ?

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by crn3d View Post
    Right now I am printing at 15% infill .3 layer height 2 shells 65mm/s feedrate 90 travel 205 temp I cleared the nozzle changed filaments tighten tension on filament the spool turns freely with ease I just cant seem to figure out wtf is happening...
    You are printing too fast. If that's not clear then YOU ARE PRINTING TOO FAST.

I got it dialed in now at 50mm/s thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast