Close

Thread: Beer opener

Beer opener

Hi!

I designed a beer opener. It is suppose to be printed in plastic, so to make it work, I made a place for 1 euro cent (for the metal part, that will open the bottle). I would like to ask if in your opinion should I print a hole like this with or without support? I cannot wait to print it and test it!

Zrzut ekranu 2015-08-27 08.37.33.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

Why don't you start the print,reach end of the slot, pause the print, put the coin in the slot and finish the print ? That way you've all the support you want and it's gonna stay in place.

Hmmm... interesting idea, I didn't think about it! The problem is, that when I was pausing some print, there always a visible seam was created. For me more important is that the model will look nice from the outside and inside the hole eventually I may accept some "dirt" and try to remove it later... maybe I will try to put the coin inside without stopping the printer, but I don't know if I will succeed in this. Well and also it would be problematic to print then more than one model in time. I think for start, I will try to print it without support and see the effect. If it will be not satisfying I will try to use your idea! Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    shouldn't need support. that's a pretty small gap to bridge.

So I decided to try it now without support. In three hours I will put here some pictures of printed models.

three hours !
    that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to print.
    what are you printing it on ?

But I have to wait untli other print will be finished I will print it od DeGreen.

So this is picture of my print:

11696720_900942393309029_290581424_n.jpg
    Inside the hole I had to clean a little with a knife, but now it's ok and the coin is staying on place. Thank you for your help!

looks pretty good :-)

Thanks! And the most important part- it works!