Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's settle this heat bed problem.

Simple answers required.

What heat bed temperature is ABS printed at?
    What heat bed temperature is PLA printed at?

How thick should the first layers of "mouse ears" be?
    How many layers should the "mouse ears" be?

Old Man Emu

Heated bed for ABS should be 100 degrees
    Heated bed for PLA should be 60 degrees

We have about 2000 hours on our bots and that's what we always use.

Kapton Tape for ABS (with ABS Slurry wipe)
    Blue painters tape for PLA

I would say over the last 12 months we have a 99% success rate with these settings. Your mileage may vary

OME, what printer are you using? Is an enclosed print chamber or open? My guess, from half a world away, is that your first layer has to be squished down a bit more. Typically, my first layer is about half the thickness of my nozzle size?

Also, I have not used a raft since 2010 but we do run a skirt around the object to ensure the nozzle is primed.
    Last edited by JohnA136; 01-27-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: added content

I had a thought that the bed temperature might be too high. I'll re-slice at 100C and see how that goes.
    I am using hairspray as a plate primer, and have used diluted PVA. I am going to keep trying those before I fork out for Kapon.
    I'm running at 0.2 mm which is half nozzle size.

Back to the Bat Cave, Robin!

OME

@John - I use Kapton for PLA and have never had an issue where it does not stick, but when using Blue Tape - It never stuck at all.
    Bed temp is at 70 for first layer then drop back to 65. (I have only used PLA)

@OME - 50mil Kaptop from China is about $5. I got two rolls delivered for $11. Even after many prints, I just clean it off with Isoprop Alcohol, I only replace it when I'm going to be doing higher quality prints and I to ensure it sticks.

It's the tape that never stops giving! I have my nozzle on one printer wrapped in Kapton, repaired broken parts with it.
    To me: Its the Duct Tape of the 3D Printer world!
    Last edited by Kingoddball; 01-27-2014 at 06:39 PM.

It is amazing how something that works for one person will not work for another? When I put on new Blue tape, I give it a wipe with an alcohol swab and it is golden!

Yep - Odd.
    Other than Kapton, I've had success with a bed at 60 (or higher), then spray it with windex (while hot) and when I wipe it off it sticks well.

Needs to be hot.

Heat bed temperature for ABS should be set at approximately between 80° to 100 °C. Note that ABS will bend under too much heat, so after the first few layers, it’s best to turn down your print bed temperature. The heat bed temperature for PLA filament is approximately 185°C to 210°C. However, if your desktop 3D printer has a heated print bed, it is recommended to set your print bed temperature to a low temperature such as 50°C

Student
    Please note that there are many differences possible between thermistors. This may change the print temperatures with different models. It also makes a difference if the printer is enclosed. I have read that PLA with blue painters tape does not need to be heated. Sometimes with heat the object will not stick to the tape, unless using a coating to stick better. I use glass currently, and or kapton tape. On each I have to use between 66 and 71 degrees. However, I use a mix of wood glue and water on my beds. I have not yet tested using ABS. Hairspray made no difference on my setup. I do not have a closed printing area

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelKendrick View Post
    Heat bed temperature for ABS should be set at approximately between 80° to 100 °C. Note that ABS will bend under too much heat, so after the first few layers, it’s best to turn down your print bed temperature. The heat bed temperature for PLA filament is approximately 185°C to 210°C. However, if your desktop 3D printer has a heated print bed, it is recommended to set your print bed temperature to a low temperature such as 50°C
    I am sure you meant the EXTRUDER temp for most PLA is between 185 & 210 C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast