Close

Page 378 of 411 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 4110
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Ok, did you set the filament size in the slicer? Forgot to ask what slicer. I would cut the overall speed in half and see how it goes. Also make sure the measured filament size is in the slicer.
    I did have the filament size set in Simplify3D. I've printed this design, even the same file on the SD card, with success multiple times using a few different makes of PLA.

Setting the speed down to 20 mm/s seems to have solved the problem, I'm successfully 42% of the way into a now 25 hour print (up from 14 hours at 35 mm/s). Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    It's getting near to Christmas, so ya know I had to try this...

Happy Holidays to all!
    Awesome tree, love the use of loose filament strands. I had not seen that before. Can you share the source/file? It seems like those single strands would gunk up on the hot head from time to time, atleast that's my luck .

I've recently been using the MG Raptor PLA material. It is advertised as high-strength and FDA/food/dishwasher safe. My experience so far is extremely positive. It prints very well and allows me to achieve the high detail I typically get with PLA. It has the buttery consistency of ABS as it prints. It adheres well to itself and the bed (gluestick on glass). It has much of the flexibility of ABS, possibly even more...
    This has been my experience as well. I've tried a dozen types of filament including many rolls of PETG, ABS, TPU, and PLA and the MG Raptor PLA is my favorite so far. Great detail, nice finish, strong, easy to print with. It's got a lot going on for it. I've also annealed a number of parts (bake at 225F for 5-10 minutes) as recommended, not sure how effective it is or if this process could be used on other PLAs, but the results are impressive in terms of strength and appearance.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
    Awesome tree, love the use of loose filament strands. I had not seen that before. Can you share the source/file? It seems like those single strands would gunk up on the hot head from time to time, atleast that's my luck .
    It was a rather strange print to say the least. When it started I thought "No way this is going to work", but as you see, it came out fine. I used solely the left extruder for the print. The blower duct and the right extruder nozzle kept hitting the tree fronds as it printed. I believe that the blower's air path causes the tree fronds to behave asymmetrically depending upon which side of the tree they were printed on. Those nearest the blower seemed to lay down lower than those on the far side. I did some nipping after the print was completed to get rid of parts I did not want, like the base fan and the topmost ring of fronds.

Here is the source for the tree, I printed the 4 inch version file in (MakerGeeks) MG PLA Nuclear Green.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1941557

Here is the source for the star (Estrella), I reduced its size to 80% of the original so it would fit the tree. I printed it in MG PLA Ah! Natural (Clear). I printed this on a raft and then nipped off the cross piece to allow it to fit onto the tree. Used some hot-melt glue to keep it in place.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1170981

I used the Bolitas file for the ornaments. Printed in MG Crystal PLA Translucent Red. I printed these on rafts and then nipped them off the raft once they were done. The little hooks that the ornaments have would work better if my hands were about the size of a raccoon's. I ended up hot-melt gluing them in place on the tree.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1170981

Enjoy!

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
    This has been my experience as well. I've tried a dozen types of filament including many rolls of PETG, ABS, TPU, and PLA and the MG Raptor PLA is my favorite so far. Great detail, nice finish, strong, easy to print with. It's got a lot going on for it. I've also annealed a number of parts (bake at 225F for 5-10 minutes) as recommended, not sure how effective it is or if this process could be used on other PLAs, but the results are impressive in terms of strength and appearance.
    Good feedback. I looked for something "specification like" on the MG website that described the material changes resulting from their recommended "annealing" process when used with the Raptor PLA. Nothing turned up other than the generalizations in their "tips" section. My oven does not hold temps very well near 100C, so I've just been boiling the parts in water. Figured that would be pretty close to 100C. They do not deform in that process.

Super Moderator
    The QIDI Tech-1 finally gets a print job! I have been playing with the new MK2 so much the other printers have been on holiday.

Super Moderator
    Having fun with multi color printing for Christmas.

[IMG][/IMG]

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Having fun with multi color printing for Christmas.
    Looks great W. Did you get the multi-Filament setup installed?

Super Moderator
    It hasn't come yet but they have a cool app called ColorPrint which is pretty slick.

Add cncartist on Thingiverse
    It's getting near to Christmas, so ya know I had to try this...

Happy Holidays to all!
    Very nice Dave! I've printed a few holiday items myself and the tree was one of them.

Page 378 of 411 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388 ... LastLast