Close

Page 298 of 411 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 4110
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Yes, three of them. Working like a charm.
    Sounds like ya need to add a 4th in there! wink:wink

Add cncartist on Thingiverse
    Tried out Makergeeks GID filament but I couldn't get it to extrude properly. I noticed the filament stated 240c instead of the usual 230c which I've seen for their ABS so I tried it at 230c first which caused some extruder clicking. Then I tried it at 240c which also had the extruder clicking a little but it was extruding smoother. I then switched back to some regular MG ABS and that worked just fine to which I tested the GID again and it sporadically clicked again while test extruding. The clicking would happen even when the filament has no tension showing me that the gear may have had trouble gripping this filament even though it's not a flexible filament. The gear has had no problem with any other type of filament and has only done this when my extruder is jammed.

I did notice that the MG GID ABS filament breaks much easier than any other filament I have bent 180 degrees and it almost breaks every time I bend it that far.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with MG GID ABS filament?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Nope, never tried it but have some Inland GID ABS. Works fine at normal settings.

Clicking isn't a grip problem, that means the filament is gripped tight. If it was slipping the drive gear would grind a divot in the fiilament.

I'd up the temp a little more, to 245 or so. Or print slower, which will in turn not move the filament as fast. Can also turn down filament flow some to 90%-95% as you could be overextruding some. Could also increase nozzle clearance a bit since a nozzle too close can create too much back pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by cncartist View Post
    Tried out Makergeeks GID filament but I couldn't get it to extrude properly. I noticed the filament stated 240c instead of the usual 230c which I've seen for their ABS so I tried it at 230c first which caused some extruder clicking. Then I tried it at 240c which also had the extruder clicking a little but it was extruding smoother. I then switched back to some regular MG ABS and that worked just fine to which I tested the GID again and it sporadically clicked again while test extruding. The clicking would happen even when the filament has no tension showing me that the gear may have had trouble gripping this filament even though it's not a flexible filament. The gear has had no problem with any other type of filament and has only done this when my extruder is jammed.

I did notice that the MG GID ABS filament breaks much easier than any other filament I have bent 180 degrees and it almost breaks every time I bend it that far.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with MG GID ABS filament?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Nope, never tried it but have some Inland GID ABS. Works fine at normal settings.

Clicking isn't a grip problem, that means the filament is gripped tight. If it was slipping the drive gear would grind a divot in the filament.

I'd up the temp a little more, to 245 or so. Or print slower, which will in turn not move the filament as fast. Can also turn down filament flow some to 90%-95% as you could be overextruding some. Could also increase nozzle clearance a bit since a nozzle too close can create too much back pressure.

So the clicking sound is the extruder stepper motor cogging? I wonder if changing that extruder's Vref from ~80 to 127 would have any effect?

Technician
    Yes, raising the VREF may fix the clicking noise. You should keep your extruders around a VREF of 90 on a direct extruder setup. My Bowden setup commands a VREF of 100 to overcome the frictional force in the PTFE tube. Higher nozzle temps also make plastic easier to extrude.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    So the clicking sound is the extruder stepper motor cogging? I wonder if changing that extruder's Vref from ~80 to 127 would have any effect?
    Yes, it is always the stepper clicking. You will never hear the filament slipping.

Don't know if you need to go to that extreme, maybe up it to 100 or so. I run mine at 90 all the time.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post

Yes it is. I did it by accident yesterday! Put a new shim in for the glass and forgot it was .2mm thinner and the stepper started having a fit when trying to print the first layer. A littel to much "squish" for the first layer!

I think I would start with JF's suggestions first before upping the Vref. Seems to me that might be just trying to force it.

Add cncartist on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post

Clicking isn't a grip problem, that means the filament is gripped tight. If it was slipping the drive gear would grind a divot in the fiilament.

Interesting, I will try upping the temp to 245c. I was extruding into the air via the load filament option on the menu so the nozzle clearance was not a factor here.

I agree it was gripped tight and probably not slipping, I may have stated that wrong as it seemed like the extruder was trying to push the filament but it would not feed as fast as "standard" ABS. How can I change the fliament flow if I'm not doing a print, ie. - in filament load sequence?

And I shouldn't go over 250c with the stock extruder setup, correct?

Super Moderator
    250 will be ok, may need to replace the ptfe liner more often at that temp though.

Super Moderator
    To add a note, my extruder clicks a lot when loading filament. I don't know when it started to do this but if I let it go for a little bit to clear out old color it will start to click. I thought it was trying to do a retraction while loading!

He maybe experiencing the same thing I am where the extruder is clicking hard during loading. I am loading PLA at 200 so there should be no issues!

I does print fine with no noises.

Page 298 of 411 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast