Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will Dell, HP, Epson, Canon, etc make 3D printers?

It seems logical to me that these big named printer manufacturers will eventually get into making 3D printers. The question is, "When"?

If they wait much longer, it will be too late. These companies are all big enough to put the dollars into research and development in order to come out with a truly unique and truly innovative 3D printer. I'm just wondering what is holding them up.

Jan

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I'm not sure if these printer companies will enter the 3D industry or not. By the time they decide to, it may just be a little too late. 3D printing and 2D printing is so different, it will take a lot from these companies to catch up. However, you are correct in that they have the funding needed to do it.

I think that the way things will go is that within the next year or two you will see the various 3D Printing powerhouses like Statasys (ssys),they own Makerbot, 3D Systems (DDD), owner of cubify, and others get bought out by the HP's Dells, Googles of the world. I wouldnt be surprised if Apple even got into the game after a while with some sort of innovative device. Should be fun to watch. In my opinion, the 3D printing companies like DDD and SSYS are great buys, especially on this pullback we are seeing due to the debt ceiling mess.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    I think the general agreement on this is: No, they won't. Even if they do, by the time they can do it well it will be too late.

In my opinion, one day soon Makerbot Industries will be one of those power companies up there with Dell, Canon, and HP. They may run the market for 2D printers, but Makerbot will run that of 3D printers. This much I am sure of.

Apple would probably have the best chances at catching up with the current market just because of what they've managed to do in the past. God knows that their printer would be all white, and it would take a sledge hammer to swap parts out.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I think that the way things will go is that within the next year or two you will see the various 3D Printing powerhouses like Statasys (ssys),they own Makerbot, 3D Systems (DDD), owner of cubify, and others get bought out by the HP's Dells, Googles of the world
    That would certainly be an interesting turn of events. Who knows, maybe Apple will buy one out. That would be interesting for sure. Imagine the Apple iPrinter LOL.

I agree, that Statasys is the company that will be the ones to set the market. I think everyone else will be chasing them for years to come (unless of course someone buys them out).

God knows that their printer would be all white, and it would take a sledge hammer to swap parts out.
    LOL. The iPrinter is so sexy!

Student
    HP has one. It's called HP Designjet 3D Printer series.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/sit...4892.492883150

I think it is ~$20,000 though.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo1212 View Post
    HP has one. It's called HP Designjet 3D Printer series.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/sit...4892.492883150
    I think it is ~$20,000 though.
    How the hell does that even have a market at $20K?

I could buy like 15 Replicator 2's with that money...

-AND I WOULD GLADLY DO SO!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    How the hell does that even have a market at $20K?
    1. This unit was released over 3 years ago.
    2. Simultaneous 3-material (two different plastic filaments (i.e. different colours) and a dissolve-away support filament) printing capability. Makerbot's shiny new experimental Replicator 2X only has 2-material capability.
    3. The unit is aimed at serious business rapid prototyping. Product support is important. If it breaks, you need someone to fix it ASAP, because you're losing money.

The fact that HP has a 3D printer (even though it is crazy expensive), means to me that they will be taking part in this industry in the coming years. Right now they don't have one that consumers can afford, but they are spending resources on research and development for 3D printing, so I fully expect to see some $1000 range printers released by them in the coming years.

HP recently announced that they will enter the consumer 3D printing market in Q2 of 2014!

They are going to push this industry forward, FAST.

Hold on!

Drew Taylor
    https://3Dagogo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast