Close

Top 25 3D Modeling Software

i.materialise has released a list most everyone should be interested to check out, enjoying a few surprises along the way, as they see many familiar names in the top 25. With the open-source Blender at the top spot, i.materialise mentions that they are the most popular 3D modeling software in use and tend to be part of a community intent on sharing as they work on 3D printing products. There is a mix of user levels as well as seriously professional 3D modeling software on the list like SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, and much more. Read more about the findings in this list here: http://3dprint.com/87111/i-materialise-top-25-software/

Do you agree with these ranking? If not why?

a bit surprised to find sketchUp is No.2

I don't know how to answer to that.
    1/ Can you really consider meshmixer to be a 3D MODELLING tool ?
    2/ How can you mix stuff like autocad and maya, 2 completely different worlds ?
    3/ CATIA not there ? Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    3/ CATIA not there ? Really ?
    There a lot that are missing. And some of them are used far more than Blender and Sketchup eg. Catia, Creo/ProE, SolidEdge, NX, Geomagic, Cubify, ZW, etc

Perhaps they meant 'most popular design program for the casual home user'...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I'm a home user and it's very popular with me ! ;-) I see your point. That's the problem with imprecise but catchy ads.

Here's another one. Free. Runs on Windows and Linux.

SolveSpace

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Considering SolidWorks is on the list, and is orders of magnitude outside of the casual home user's price range, I'd say this theory doesn't hold much water.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Considering SolidWorks is on the list, and is orders of magnitude outside of the casual home user's price range, I'd say this theory doesn't hold much water.
    I dunno. SW is the most pirated CAD software so maybe they took that account...

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    And Modo...

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_3D_printer View Post
    a bit surprised to find sketchUp is No.2
    I use SU, but hate the way it jumps when I zoom.