Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow, this is really great !

"quadric edge collapse decimation algorithm"

Man, I need to place that into a conversation once, LOL

Which software you used ?

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    Another great scan, Dave ... :
    If you have tried scanning fins with the Einscan-S,...

I've just tried that from the turntable, and
    results are mixed at the moment, it was Ok until it meshed it into a cube like form!
    I've also attached the tripod and trying that from the turntable after calibration. Just playing at the moment.
    So these are magnets and matt grey balls on the end of the studs, over holes etc?
    Impressed
    Mike

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    OK, I know what the "meshed into a cube like form" is, it's the limits of the turntable model
    I'm with you Hugues "quadric edge collapse decimation algorithm" that's a combo and a half, you'd be into total geek mode at a Meshlab party!
    LOL

Student
    Add Nerv on Facebook
    Hey Mike,

I suggest stop using the turntable, I'm sure it has a use (calibration), but not for any serious scanning.

Hughes, the decimation was in Meshlab. SolidWorks has the same method build into it's Scanto3D add-in, but Meshlab is faster. Having said that, SolidWorks can break your mesh up by curvature, and then you can run that algorithm afterward in an effort to isolate and preserve any really sensitive meshes you want untouched (like holes).

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    Thanks Dave, I will, just killing time waiting for the lazy susan.
    I thought I'd try the tripod with turntable for calibration, as I didn't want to keep unscrewing the scan head from the stand.
    First one failed, and on lowering the tripod the second one didn't.
    Anybody used the tripod for calibration?
    Seriously, impressed with your scans, looking hopeful it will be good enough for what I want.
    Also, I'm liking this scanner a lot.
    Mike

Student
    Add Nerv on Facebook
    I always use my scanner on my tripod when I calibrate. I just make sure the distance and height is as per the OEM stand and position template position provided.

Lazy susan bearing is dirt cheap at Lee Valley tools if you have anything similar where you are. $10, 1000lb rating.

Wait, i'm lost guys !

I thought we only need to calibrate the scanner once ?! isn't it what the instructions says, I'm sure i read it somewhere...re-calibrate only if the scanner got bumped or something like this.

YOu guys calibrate before each scan ?

Student
    Add Nerv on Facebook
    No, I just recalibrate when the software gets updated.

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    Sorry Hugues, I'm an ignorant noob, just assumed you had to...if you moved it! LMAO
    and Dave, I did exactly the same replicated the positions on the template, but the extra height threw it the first time, even though I tried to land the base of the white projection on the second ring as recommended. I take it, all the scanner does when it calibrates is align the rotational axis wrt to the reference template, and modify it's built in 3D model. Plus free scan is the way to go, after having a go, but just need to work out the alignment references...those matt balls look like a good idea, now i've seen those purple alignment marks in the software.
    Alfred, it's a shame you can't tab or resize the three viewing boxes to make it easier to rotate/zoom etc. I kept trying to hold down the mouse and resize them, but a tab option to bring a window full screen whilst you found the alignment point would be useful. Just a 2¢ suggestion I'm liking the scans.

You can enlarge the view by Mouse Scroll Wheel.
    Add one thing, you can rotate the scanning by press Mouse Left Button and move Mouse.
    And move by adding pressing a Ctrl key.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast