Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Anyone print in a garage?

I live in south florida where it is hot and humid year round. I am running out of space where I print and I might need to move my printers into a bay type garage. It is not air conditioned and it is sometimes exposed to the air when the bay is open. The printers wont be close to the opening, and I will have a clear plastic vinyl covering all the printers.

I dont see why humidity will be a problem if I keep the printers covered, there isnt much in a printer that can rust since bearings and moving parts are coated with grease. I am more worried about the filament. I generally go through a roll of filament every 2 or 3 days, so it never has time to sit in the environment it is in. I feel that since I store my filament indoors in sealed containers they come in, I should be OK when it comes to the humidity and the filament.

Anyone have experience with this location of their printer?

I was going to do the same but decided to keep them where they are. Uk here and its cold and wet most of the year, when the sun does come out my house gets it full blast. I was going to insulate my shed, it was more a case of 'controlled environment' rather than a heat or moisture reason. Neither are good - you really want a steady coolish dry environment for reliable repeatable prints. If you can go some ways to obtaining that you will have good success.

Insurance might be worthwhile, especially if its a shared garage. Both in case of fire and theft/damage.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I print in a garage.

Humidity is a slight issue, but I keep my spare spools in a rubbermaid bin with dehumidifier packs in it. I'd run the spools out of there using foam sealed ports if I didn't have a davinci that requires cartridges.

I also Live in South Fl...and print from my garage, ive had my printer in there for almost 8 months now and no issues at all..if anything it helps with ABS not warping due to the warm room .
    Also noted, my printer is a Maker Farm Prusa I3V 12' wooden frame and no issues with humidity...
    I keep my filaments in a Storage Container with lid never had any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
    I live in south florida where it is hot and humid year round. I am running out of space where I print and I might need to move my printers into a bay type garage. It is not air conditioned and it is sometimes exposed to the air when the bay is open. The printers wont be close to the opening, and I will have a clear plastic vinyl covering all the printers.

I dont see why humidity will be a problem if I keep the printers covered, there isnt much in a printer that can rust since bearings and moving parts are coated with grease. I am more worried about the filament. I generally go through a roll of filament every 2 or 3 days, so it never has time to sit in the environment it is in. I feel that since I store my filament indoors in sealed containers they come in, I should be OK when it comes to the humidity and the filament.

Anyone have experience with this location of their printer?

Banned
    Thanks for the info guys.

what's your printer? as I know, the humidity could affect the filament seriously, but it should be OK for the normal printing. I didn't meet this problem before. Will it affect the printing quality?

I live in the French Riviera and the printer is on my balcony. I have it partially enclosed (the balcony) but most of the time a window or 2 are open.

Never had a problem so far. I usually don't leave the reels on the machine when I don't use it and just put them in a plastic box with desiccant bags.

While temp is 35°C in average during the day in summer and roughly 10°C in the day in winter, the humidity level stays around 50% year round.

Staff Engineer
    Lambda, you're making me jealous. Around here a day below 80% humidity is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Around here a day below 80% humidity is a good day.
    The weather was like that when I went to Singapore... on my 1st time there I thought I was drowning. ;-)

When I was in Haerbin - China - the humidity was below 40% most times, with sometimes weeks around 30%. One of my workmate came with his kids and got badly scared when the kids woke up to a scarlet pillow. Printing would be great there... except for the -40°C in winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast