Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Printer to replace Z18

Hi Guys,

Weve been having a lot of issues with out Makerbot 5th gen Z18. Imagine that!! Anyway I think were about ready to dump this thing and get a replacement printer for it. So I'm looking for suggestions.

Heres what we are looking for in a printer.

1. Large build volume. The z18 has a 12"x12"x18" build volume and sometimes even that wasnt enough. Doesnt really need to be bigger but cant be too much smaller than what were working with now.
    2. Ease of use. Must be relatively hassle free, push a button and print operation. I dont mind tweaking some settings or whatever but this is for work so I cant be spending hours working on this think like I am with our Z18.
    3. Speed. The faster the better. I do not care at all about how low of a resolution it will print because well never use it. I print at the largest resolution our Z18 can do because we want stuff printing fast. With an average print time of 8+ hours and many 20+ hours faster speeds would be really nice.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and considered. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Wanhao D5 might be worth a look if you want to go PLA.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    have a look at the other: 'what to replace z18 printer with' thread.
    Think we covered most options.

Although as the forum search says z18 is too short a word to search for - good luck finding it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    have a look at the other: 'what to replace z18 printer with' thread.
    Think we covered most options.

Although as the forum search says z18 is too short a word to search for - good luck finding it :-)
    I found this thread, not sure if its the one you meant but it has some good replys.

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...er-build-areas

WANHAO D5S MINI seems fine, but I don't think the D5 is a good option,
    it is too tall and there is no support structure in front of the frame,
    I am afraid it shakes in printing process.

Why not considering Ultimaker 2 Extended ?

I checked Wanhao D5, it should be unavailable for ABS because of the open room and build plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicos.s View Post
    I checked Wanhao D5, it should be unavailable for ABS because of the open room and build plate.
    Yes thats why I said if you go PLA. The open cover and the fact it has no HBP. the D5 mini has the same limitations. Do you really need the build volume of the Z18 ?

Do you really need this big build size12"x12"x18" ?

If the size is not the big problem, I think you can find one easily.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes he does need the build volume - read the initial post.

the bigbox looks good. In that sort of price range $4-6000 there are quite a few.

One option you might want to consider is go upscale and get a 3dp1000 - huge build volume, larger diameter nozzles and super fast low res printing. AND, you can rent one !
    Well lease anyway :-)
    Plus whatever you make at the moment you'd be able to have several items printing at once.
    http://3dpunlimited.com/?gclid=CjwKE...MIKhoCd17w_wcB

My other thought was big delta. http://griffin-3d.myshopify.com/coll...griffin-pro-xl
    so cheap you could buy 3 for the same cost as one z18. 18x18 inch build volume (18inch diameter so only one value)

Or one of the dutch Builder machines: http://3dprinter4u.nl/product-category/3d-printers/
    The big build machine has build volume: 220x210x664mm appros 10x10x26 inches

They'd all be faster and more reliable than 5th gen makerbots :-)
    They are all cheaper as well - well except the 3dp.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! A lot of good looking printers here. I've bookmarked all of these and will be researching them over the next couple days.

And yes Estela we really do need the 12x12x18 build size. After all it is #1 on my list of requirements. We print exhausts, intake boxes, radiator/intercooler end tanks, intake pipes, and lots of other very large stuff. The z18's 12x12x18 is a lot better than the 5x8x8 ish we had on our old printer but something bigger than the z18 would be great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast