Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10" relay clicking in and out

Hello,

im having some issues with my relay. When I set the printer to auto heat or send it a print it starts to heat the nozzle and then the relay for the print bed cuts in and then just clicks in and out. It's clicking roughly every half a second. This doesn't stop until I cut it out as the wires to the relay board started to get hot.

i measure 12v at the D8 port and when I wire the relay direct to 12v it fires too. I'm wondering if the signal through D8 is too fast for my multimeter and it's actually pulsing.

Now, just for reference I have changed to the large display and updated the code to reflect this and I've not really used the printer in a while due to a house move so I can't remember whether this issue was apparent since I changed it. And I finally have the requirement for an urgent print as my bbq is broken and I need to print a new part for it!

Any thoughts?

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    What do you mean by 10" relay? How exactly is your heated bed connected to the RAMPS 1.4 shield?

Add jheikkila54 on Thingiverse
    Check the terminals on the relay board. Make sure the plastic hasnt started to melt or warp, if they havnt then tighten all the terminals. The wires like to get a little loose and when that happens, little archs between the wires and the terminal start to happen. This will cause the terminals and wires to get hot and melt.

Technologist
    Relay chatter/skipping can also be an indication of internal failure, e.g., the actuator coil is frying. It maybe that when you hook it up directly to 12V, there is sufficient current to activate it..., but when you hook it up to the mosfet driver, there isn't..., though I admit, that seems unlikely, since that mosfet can drive the 8" HB directly...

Thanks for the replies.

I meant to type 10" print bed.

I've checked all the terminals and it seems fine, and regardless, as soon as I hook it up to another 12V supply it fires straight open.

Could it be the signal from the Ramps board is fluctuating and causing it to opne and close? Anyone know where to check this in the code?

Thanks

Technician
    Have you tried another relay?

have you run a PID auto tune on it? M303 T0 SXXX (xxx being the temp you want to tune to)

Quote Originally Posted by ZorAxe View Post
    Have you tried another relay?
    No, I guess I could try an automotive one and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    have you run a PID auto tune on it? M303 T0 SXXX (xxx being the temp you want to tune to)
    I'd love to know what that all means

Technician
    I'd say try another relay first. That will tell you whether the relay is the problem, or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast