Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    disable windows updates.
    This should be done as soon as windows has been installed on a computer anyway.
    But it's amazing how many people let microsoft stick any old crap on their machine because some monkey at the shop told them to.

Using a neat little piece of free software called Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/
    You can make wndows 8 look and behave almost exactly like windows 7. It's one of the most things I do these days.
    Uless you plan on getting a windows phone & tablet alongside your desktop or laptop and buying a bunch of crappy microsoft apps - there is NO POINT in installing windows 10.

Stick with 7 or classic shelled 8.

I will be sticking with 7, at least until the dust has settled and I know exactly where MS is headed.

This wouldn't be an issue if my CAD software could run on Windows in Vbox... The day that happens I would probably switch to Mint permanently...

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I will be sticking with 7, at least until the dust has settled and I know exactly where MS is headed.
    Where they are headed? Do you think there is going to be a massive change of heart at Micro$hite and they will suddenly start making things better instead of worse. The ongoing downwards spiral that started from DOS 3.3 shows no sign of ending from where I am standing, the small improvement bubble of Windo$e 3.11 is ancient history now and can't really be used as valid statistical input data.

Engineer
    I'll be upgrading myself but mostly because there is huge change's with how Xbox One and Windows 10 will work together with each other. We have 2 Xbox one's here at the house so I'm looking forward to trying all the new features out

Add bford903 on Facebook
    So I upgraded to Windows 10 and the first thing they ask is if you'd like to use their "Express Settings". I pressed "Customize" to see what settings they were referring to.

Send your contacts list and calendar info to Microsoft. NO
    Send your browser history to Microsoft. NO
    Backup all your files to the cloud storage at Microsoft. NO NO NO

We are Microsoft. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bford903 View Post
    So I upgraded to Windows 10 and the first thing they ask is if you'd like to use their "Express Settings". I pressed "Customize" to see what settings they were referring to.

Send your contacts list and calendar info to Microsoft. NO
    Send your browser history to Microsoft. NO
    Backup all your files to the cloud storage at Microsoft. NO NO NO

We are Microsoft. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.
    Think of how many people just hit "Accept" also on "Express settings"

So I upgraded to Windows 10...
    If you are using a MakerBot Replicator 2 or FlashForge Creator Pro with Win10, is the printer working? Also, did Win10 install its new 3D printer support drivers for your printer?

Thanks - John
    Last edited by 8-Bits; 08-04-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bits View Post
    If you are using a MakerBot Replicator 2 or FlashForge Creator Pro with Win10, is the printer working? Also, did Win10 install its new 3D printer support drivers for your printer?

Thanks - John
    I upgraded on my travel laptop just to try it out. Don't know if it installed any support drivers for 3D printing. I think you have to download an app to install the drivers. The printer I use is a Projet 1200 SLA machine connected to a Win7 computer with my CAD software.

I upgraded on my travel laptop just to try it out. Don't know if it installed any support drivers for 3D printing. I think you have to download an app to install the drivers. The printer I use is a Projet 1200 SLA machine connected to a Win7 computer with my CAD software.
    I know with my Printrbot Metal and MakerBot as soon as I connected the printer Win10 installed special drivers (i.e. plug-and-play) and identify the 3D printer along side the standard computer printers. Great concept, if it worked. :-)

The custom drivers appear to make the printer work with Microsoft's free "3D Builder" app (https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/3D-Printing), but messes up Repetier, etc. that expect the printer to be on a USB-to-Serial port. And if you uninstall the new driver it will just reinstall itself when the printer gets connected. I am in the process of trying to uninstall the entire "Printrbot Driver Package", but this is a complex procedure.

Bottom line, stay on Win7 for now on the computer you use to interface your 3D printer.

MOMSOFT.jpg

For those who are blithely considering the 'upgrade', take a look at Windows 10 settings.

I'll pass on paying M$ for the 'privilege' of joining their new botnet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast