Close

Add cadpro78 on Google+ Add cadpro78 on Thingiverse

Stratasy vs. 3D system?

Which to buy? I have recently gotten into this 3D Printing world in the last 6 months or so. My company makes waste-water valves, gadgets, and gusset plates, retaining rings, you name it, etc. And we recently met with a sales rep from Stratasy last week and he should us several machines that could blend filaments, have a rubber-like texture, flexible filaments, and high temperatures. All of their machines that blends and do all of that are of course so much money-wise.

I am meeting with an authorized reseller of 3D Systems sometime next week to discuss their product lines.

I pretty much want to know who you trust more of these two 3d printing companies and why? Would you both of them? or stay away from both all together?

Stratasys wants you to be in jail if you use anything but their filament. They say you are a felon if you load their machine with anything but their over priced filament. I wouldn't buy one of their machines as long as that is their attitude.
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-16-2015 at 04:26 PM.

I think it depends on which grade printer you want/need. Both companies have excellent commercial printers but the consumer range (Makerbots for Stratasys; Cubes for 3D Systems) are a poor investment according reviews.

Both ranges i.e. commercial and consumer from both companies tie you in to proprietry filament and proprietry slicer with no option to expand the capabilities. Support form both companies is rated as poor for their consumer products.

3D Systems and Stratasys both make printers that can produce parts with plastic and rubber-like materials and both are long time manufacturers in the 3D space. The one you choose should be based on several factors including speed, build size and total cost of ownership. First ask yourself, why am I considering 3D printing instead of the way I have been doing it? Do I need better designs, faster prototypes, new designs not feasible with conventional manufacturing, lower design costs. shorter runs of custom end use parts? They tell each salesperson the main reasons you came up with. Next, work up a cost analysis for a 3 to 5 year period including the original hardware cost, service and maintenance costs, estimated run costs including material and support material (Stratasys doesn't like to talk about how much support material costs and 3D Systems uses paraffin wax), post processing time involved and what is needed for post processing (like an oven, sink, ultrasonic bath, etc.). Can they match the material properties you need? How much does it actually cost to produce the parts you need including post processing time? Next, how detailed a finish do you need? The 3D Systems printers will cost more but will be able to print very small hexagons and squares that the Stratasys printer can't handle. Are you doing just prototyping to test fit and finish or do you want to print end use parts, molds or over-molded parts? Do you need living hinges, specific durometer measures of rubber, multiple properties in one print? What is your budget? Do you plan on buying or leasing?
    The more you can explain how you are going to use the printer, the better a salesperson can determine the right solution for you. Keep in mind, no one printer will do everything you want it to do which is why there are different technologies available. The one you want it multijet or colorjet technology. I don't know your budget, but personally I love the Projet 5500X from 3D Systems as it can mix 14 material properties in one print. I saw a race car with rubber tires, plastic body and semi rigid spoiler and front fin all done in one print and it was impressive.

these two companies are both OK, after all they are the leaders in this industry.
    The problem is what kind of technology you want, FDM or SLA(they may don't call their technology as this name).
    As I know, it is meaningless if you buy their FDM system, because it is very expensive(not cube or makerbot), I mean their industrial FDM printer, like Mojo.
    If SLA technology, 3D system has richer product lines than Stratasys.