Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist

Fan question on dual exruder setup help needed...

I have a makerfarm i3V 8" with a dual extruder setup. I put the fan extender on it and got that going. My issue is that the fan runs all the time. From the time press "print" until the print is comlete. Does not matter if I am running ABS or PLA. I have slic3r set to control the fan but those settings seem to be ignored.

Attached is a picture of how I have the extender plugged in. I have the servo for ABL plugged in, then I skipped a row of pins and then I plugged in the extender. (I read somewhere that that is how it is supposed to be set up).

Maybe I missed something along the way but I have no idea what that would be.

slic3r 1.2.9
    Marlin 1.6.4

Your advice as always iis appreciated.

20150715_083531_resized (800x800).jpg

Technologist
    Anybody? help?

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huntleybill View Post
    Anybody? help?
    I installed the extender one row of pins lower and soldered a 3 pin header onto the top of the extender board and plugged the servo into that. it is effectively a straight pass through. the middle 2 pin connector is +12v. the outside two plugs are a fan and a light, both of which are controlled. I was never able to make the extender work offsetting one pin up. I think I got this from Clough42 so search his build posts.

Technologist
    Thank you Jimmy. I actually got the configuration I am using off clough42's FAQ's on his website. I thought maybe I was having issued because I thought the Marlin firmware had to be configured somewhere. With your setup, did you have to configure the firmware? If so, what did you have to do?

In configuration.h designate control board or motherboard 34 instead of 33. should be it. near the beginning of the file. it's been a while so check back if that doesn't work.

Technologist
    Ya Jimmy, it is set to 34 for the mother board. I see in the picture you attached that the extender you are using is the white one. I have the red one. Looks like I would have to take apart the socket to make this a "pass through" for the servo. Did you have to do that or just solder in some pins?

the pin sockets are through hole mounted, so I just soldered 3 more pins worth of header to the butts on the other side facing out. Didn't explain very well but I just added pins onto what was there to pass the +V, G and signal straight through. This may be only applicable to the white one (sourced from makerfarm) so there could be differences, although I think this is like the RAMPS pretty consistent between mfgrs.

Technologist
    OK...I will try that. But what/how do you control the fans? Seems I am using the correct mother board. Do you have to do any configuring or does it just work because Marlin is already configured for it?

command for the LED light pwm controls is:
    M42 P5 S255 ; light on 100%- light is connected to RRD fan extender second plug. if you have a fan plugged in there should work the same.

M106 S255 turns the cooling fan on 100%. M107 is off. RRD fan extender first plug

Technologist
    OK Jimmy, I soldered 3 more header pins onto the board to make the "streight through" for the servo. That worked perfectly. I plugged the print fan in and it is on all the time. It does not respond to g-code commands. I tried moving the fan to the other two pins on the fan extender. The fan does not work at all there.

Here is a picture of how mine is plugged in. Any suggestions?

20150726_185837_resized.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast