Close

High Impact Gloves 3D Printed For Wheelchair Races

While taking a course in digital making at the University of Illinois, Arielle Rausin, a member of the university's varsity wheelchair racing team, decided to embark on a project to create custom fit wheelchair racing gloves. She began with a visit to the visualization laboratory at the Beckman Institute on campus and brought a custom fit glove in to be scanned. Having printed her own pair, and put over 500 miles on them, she is now working with the idea of creating a process by which anyone could send her a scan of their hand and she could create a pair of custom fit gloves just for them. Read about the student project in the full story: http://3dprint.com/81545/3d-printed-wheelchair-gloves/

I recently began using a wheelchair, and am looking for both day-to-day and "tougher" gloves to use when doing distance events (I'm not a fast racer, I do Disney races for fun). Have you been able to modify the process to take a scan of a hand and turn that into gloves, without having gloves to work with from the beginning?