Close

Makerbot Replicator 2X heated platform

Hello all,

I have a Replicator 2X... unfortunately we had a meltdown and those extruder assemblies are so expensive. We only really ever use a single print material so we were able to make a single functional extruder and get the wiring all sorted. It even works well. The one issue is now when I try to use the Makerbot Desktop software, I no longer have the option to enable the heated bed when printing PLA.

If I go Devices > Select Type of Device > Replicator 2X ... Then click "SETTINGS", i see the option in the Temperature tab to use the Heated bed. If I select my "Replicator 2X (USB)" that appears in my Devices dropdown, I don't have that open when I click "SETTINGS". I'm not sure what is going on.

I've factory defaulted the printer and worked through everything but not sure what's going on... I thought maybe I could add some startup GCODE? I'd rather just get it to work as it should (or used to). I know the bed works as we can preheat it just fine.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sorry to hear about that meltdown! It may be caused by the PLA. I do not recommend for customers to use PLA with their Replicator 2X. It is optimized for ABS. Also, PLA should not be used with a heated build plate. It will cause further issues. Likely this option is not available in MakerBot Desktop to prevent these sorts of issues.

OK, so here is the weirdness we seem to have discovered. After ensuring we have the latest firmware and makerbot desktop software...

We have the 2nd Extruder & components completely removed. If we set the Replicator 2X TOOL COUNT to "single" ... the Makerbot Desktop detects the makerbot as only the Replicator2, not 2X. As a Replicator 2, the ABS/heatbed additional settings are disabled. Also the platform size is incorrect.

If we keep the TOOL COUNT to "dual", on power up we get a Heating Failure #4. But the Makerbot software seems to work as expected for a 2X.

So it seems the software is unable to support a Replicator 2X with a single extruder.

Thanks for the info! I'm checking in with the software team. Please standby!

One thing to make sure is that your heated build plate is set to on. You can find this function under the same menu as the TOOL COUNT option.